How Often Do You Shower (or: “Opinionated Adults Debate On The Underlying Psychological Causes...)

How often do you shower/bathe

• Once a day

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • Every other day

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • A few times a week

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Twice A Day or More

Votes: 8 7.9%

• Total voters

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Honestly if you want to even approximate truthful answers you should make the survey anonymous.
Ok how do I do that cause I can’t find it in settings. I also don’t see how it’s not anonymous, is that because I’m on my phone and there is more info on a computer?

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
This site's general resistance to answering personal questions is interesting to me. Every other forum I'm on, whether it's the one about classical music or vinyl or political discussion, has an "off-topic" section where people (generally members who've been there for years) ask various questions about people's lives and most users have no problem answering them. Here those kinds of questions often meet a lot of resistance. Not judging--it's just interesting to me how much it contrasts with the other forums I'm a member of :)

Anyway, my answer is once a day, in the morning. I will shower a second time before bed if I've been quite active during the day, though.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
This site's general resistance to answering personal questions is interesting to me. Every other forum I'm on, whether it's the one about classical music or vinyl or political discussion, has an "off-topic" section where people (generally members who've been there for years) ask various questions about people's lives and most users have no problem answering them. Here those kinds of questions often meet a lot of resistance. Not judging--it's just interesting to me how much it contrasts with the other forums I'm a member of :)

Anyway, my answer is once a day, in the morning. I will shower a second time before bed if I've been quite active during the day, though.
Why do you think such personal and intrusive questions acceptable?

But, I see such questions/surveys as intrusive and nosey and none of anyone's business. Why does the OP wish to know this information?

My surprise is not the resistance - which tells me that some people's boundaries are perfectly healthy - but the expectation and etiquette that seems to think that to ask such personal questions online is somehow perfectly acceptable and that what is considered deviant is not the asking of the question, but the reluctance to wish to answer such a a question.

As an historian, I would - perhaps - have some interest in broad surveys that look at attitudes to personal hygiene over a period of time; for example, I have met French people who have told me that regular showering - i.e. more or less daily - only became a feature of that society after the second world war, with the experience of occupation by Germans and Americans both of whom had strong attitudes to personal hygiene.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulenspiegel

decafjava

macrumors 68040
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
But, I see such questions/surveys as intrusive and nosey and none of anyone's business. Why does the OP wish to know this information?

My surprise is not the resistance - which tells me that some people's boundaries are perfectly healthy - but the societal etiquette that seems to think that to ask such personal questions online is somehow perfectly acceptable and that what is considered deviant is not the asking of the question, but the reluctance to wish to answer such a a question.
Agreed, but I can think of a lot worse questions to ask which are certainly ban-worthy offences here.

Mind you there are people like that in real life. I remember quite clearly working in a mailroom during a gap year back many years ago when I was young 20 something one fellow was very nosy about the intimate lives of other employees. Asking me how old I was when I "lost" it, and another pal of mine (from Brazil) how often he got "friendly" with his wife. Neither of us answered and my Brazilian friend hit back with a clever come back which I can't remember.

Oh and once a day - twice if I do a intense workout.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Agreed, but I can think of a lot worse questions to ask which are certainly ban-worthy offences here.
Oh, yes, absolutely, agreed.

But, what bothers me is the presumption that someone has the right to ask such questions of anyone, and - as @ThisBougieLife (and doubtless others) seem to think - that not only is nothing amiss by doing so but that it is somehow inexplicably strange when one chooses not to answer..

Maybe it was my reserved middle class upbringing, but I do seem to recall my parents impressing upon me that it is very bad manners to ask personal questions of someone, especially someone with whom you are not acquainted.

Respect their privacy.

Mind you there are people like that in real life. I remember quite clearly working in a mailroom during a gap year back many years ago when I was young 20 something one fellow was very nosy about the intimate lives of other employees. Asking me how old I was when I "lost" it, and another pal of mine (from Brazil) how often he got "friendly" with his wife. Neither of us answered and my Brazilian friend hit back with a clever come back which I can't remember.

Oh and once a day - twice if I do a intense workout.
Yes, there are, and I avoid them or shut them down, or shut them up.

However, in the context of online intrusiveness, there is also the aspect of what is quaintly described as (monetisation) collecting and collating information for the purposes of selling this data in order to make money from it.

These days, I assume that most people in the first world shower or wash daily, as they have the resources, infrastructure and means to do so; however, I am curious as to why the OP wishes to know this.

Last edited:

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Daily, sometimes multiple times a day, due to working out, i.e., running, kick boxing class, karate, etc.

Reactions: arkitect

AlliFlowers

Contributor
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I used to shower every other day. That was prior to getting sick. My underarm sweat glands no longer work, so I got nothin' there. Good feminine hygiene is best accomplished out of the shower. Oh, and my scalp doesn't sweat either and I still have so little hair you can't tell if it's washed or not. That pretty much leaves me with showering when I have lots of time to do it for the pure enjoyment of soaking. Infer the rest from there.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
or take a bath? Once a day, every other day? No pictures please.
You should have added a more than once / day option :).

I often swim during the week and take a shower both before I enter the pool and after I leave the pool (i.e. three showers / day on the days I swim).
[doublepost=1544705095][/doublepost]
but it dries out the skin.
Swimming in a pool (chemicals) and hot showers do a job on my feet :(.

Reactions: Gutwrench