How Often Do You Shower (or: “Opinionated Adults Debate On The Underlying Psychological Causes...)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mac'nCheese, Dec 12, 2018.

?

How often do you shower/bathe

1. Once a day

61 vote(s)
    76.3%
  2. Every other day

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. A few times a week

10 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Twice A Day or More

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

or take a bath? Once a day, every other day? No pictures please.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Seriously? Have we really run out of better topics to discuss? Or is this just a test to see how many are crazy enough to reveal the most personal and intimate aspects of their lives?

3. vertical smile macrumors 68030

vertical smile

I usually shower once a day. If I plan on staying at home on a Saturday, I might skip a day depending on what is going on.

If I get sweaty after taking a shower, I might shower again.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 12, 2018 ---
    It's a shower, not some Bangkok soapy.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

I aim for at least once a month, whether I need it or not.

5. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Every day.

My hair produces enough oil in 24 hours that it must be washed twice in order to get it clean.

I hate showers though, so this is a chore every day.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Honestly if you want to even approximate truthful answers you should make the survey anonymous.

7. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

It varies with the season, but encroaching low pressure systems and hot air tend to cause more frequent showers.

8. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

9. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Ok how do I do that cause I can’t find it in settings. I also don’t see how it’s not anonymous, is that because I’m on my phone and there is more info on a computer?

10. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

11. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

Twice a day usually. It's a tradeoff.... it helps my allergies but it dries out the skin.

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Not sure how to change it, or if it is possible to do so after the fact, but to me the survey says, “your vote will be publicly visible.”

13. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

This site's general resistance to answering personal questions is interesting to me. Every other forum I'm on, whether it's the one about classical music or vinyl or political discussion, has an "off-topic" section where people (generally members who've been there for years) ask various questions about people's lives and most users have no problem answering them. Here those kinds of questions often meet a lot of resistance. Not judging--it's just interesting to me how much it contrasts with the other forums I'm a member of :)

Anyway, my answer is once a day, in the morning. I will shower a second time before bed if I've been quite active during the day, though.

14. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

15. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Every birthday!

Okay that’s a lie. I don’t celebrate birthday’s.

Daily.

16. Zenithal macrumors 603

Twice.

This is a step up from the bloke wanting to RFID chip his son.

17. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Once a day. I love showers, and they help to wake me up in the morning, make me warm if I need it, and I get clean. Win, win, win, win.

I don't think peeing on yourself counts as a shower in this case..

18. Mars56 macrumors regular

19. Spoon! macrumors 6502

Spoon!

20. Scepticalscribe, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Why do you think such personal and intrusive questions acceptable?

But, I see such questions/surveys as intrusive and nosey and none of anyone's business. Why does the OP wish to know this information?

My surprise is not the resistance - which tells me that some people's boundaries are perfectly healthy - but the expectation and etiquette that seems to think that to ask such personal questions online is somehow perfectly acceptable and that what is considered deviant is not the asking of the question, but the reluctance to wish to answer such a a question.

As an historian, I would - perhaps - have some interest in broad surveys that look at attitudes to personal hygiene over a period of time; for example, I have met French people who have told me that regular showering - i.e. more or less daily - only became a feature of that society after the second world war, with the experience of occupation by Germans and Americans both of whom had strong attitudes to personal hygiene.

21. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Agreed, but I can think of a lot worse questions to ask which are certainly ban-worthy offences here.

Mind you there are people like that in real life. I remember quite clearly working in a mailroom during a gap year back many years ago when I was young 20 something one fellow was very nosy about the intimate lives of other employees. Asking me how old I was when I "lost" it, and another pal of mine (from Brazil) how often he got "friendly" with his wife. Neither of us answered and my Brazilian friend hit back with a clever come back which I can't remember.

Oh and once a day - twice if I do a intense workout.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Oh, yes, absolutely, agreed.

But, what bothers me is the presumption that someone has the right to ask such questions of anyone, and - as @ThisBougieLife (and doubtless others) seem to think - that not only is nothing amiss by doing so but thane is somehow inexplicably strange when one chooses not to answer..

Maybe it was my reserved middle class upbringing, but I do seem to recall my parents impressing upon me that it is very bad manners to ask personal questions of someone, especially someone with whom you are not acquainted.

Respect their privacy.

Yes, there are, and I avoid them or shut them down, or shut them up.

However, in the context of online intrusiveness, there is also the aspect of what is quaintly described as (monetisation) collecting and collating information for the purposes of selling this data in order to make money from it.

These days, I assume that most people in the first world shower or wash daily, as they have the resources, infrastructure and means to do so; however, I am curious as to why the OP wishes to know this.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Daily, sometimes multiple times a day, due to working out, i.e., running, kick boxing class, karate, etc.

24. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I used to shower every other day. That was prior to getting sick. My underarm sweat glands no longer work, so I got nothin' there. Good feminine hygiene is best accomplished out of the shower. Oh, and my scalp doesn't sweat either and I still have so little hair you can't tell if it's washed or not. That pretty much leaves me with showering when I have lots of time to do it for the pure enjoyment of soaking. Infer the rest from there.

25. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

You should have added a more than once / day option :).

I often swim during the week and take a shower both before I enter the pool and after I leave the pool (i.e. three showers / day on the days I swim).
    --- Post Merged, Dec 13, 2018 ---
    Swimming in a pool (chemicals) and hot showers do a job on my feet :(.