How often do you use Siri?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gamecube117, Apr 10, 2012.

1. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

I don't have an iPhone but I'm watching the Siri commercials on YouTube and it just looks so useful. I'm talking to my friend about it and she said yeah it is... But she said it may look like you'll use it 24/7 but you rarely will.

2. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Daily, but I'm big on text messaging.

3. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

I turn mine off

4. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Many times per day.
    I've found that most people that don't use it because they haven't figured out how to. However this is a general statement. I'm merely looking at those I know personally.

After figuring out how to properly speak to Siri, its become a breeze and actually fun to use.

6. spiritedcharm macrumors newbie

I can't imagine NOT using Siri. It's the best feature of this phone for crying out loud! I mostly use it when I'm driving. This morning I remembered I needed to call my daughter today, but it was way too early, so I asked Siri to remind me to call her at 10:30 and at 10:30 a reminder popped with a call button for my daughter - super convenient. I also use it to read me text messages that come in while I'm driving - super safe. And I use it to set alarms and timers. Occasionally I use it to do a web search too. Love Siri!

7. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

A LOT more than I thought I would...

Here's my story (and sorry if it sounds like an Apple commercial, but it's exactly what happened):

I had an iPhone 4 and had not planned to upgrade to the 4s until my 4 (out of warranty, of course) died. For a price, Apple offered me a much smaller capacity iPhone 4 as a replacement -OR- I could use my eligible upgrade and get a 4s. Decided to do that.
    My first day with the new phone, in an area I was not at all familiar with, I lost my car keys. I thought, "Let me try this Siri thing."
    "Siri, where did I put my car keys?"
    "I found 11 locksmiths near you."
    "Call the closest locksmith."
    "I'm calling the closest locksmith"
    New car key made, I needed to get cash from an ATM.
    "Siri, where is the closest XYZ Bank?"
    It found the closest bank & gave me directions.
    I then met some friends and decided to go for dinner.
    "Siri, find a Mexican Restaurant"
    "I've found 5 Mexican Restaurants near your location."
    You get the drift...
    I really didn't think it would be a feature I would use all that much, but I find myself using it at least once a day.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Philosophical question:

I mostly just use Siri to call people.

But my old iPhone could do that without Siri. So, really, am I actually using Siri? I mean, I am, but am I really?

9. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I use it all the time, well at least the dictation part. But is that really considered Siri?

The new iPad has dictation, but according to Apple it doesn't technically have Siri on it.

I find myself actually using the non dictation part of it about 2 - 5 times a month. usually finding me quick answers or directions somewhere, also for reminders too.

10. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Yes, you are. The old voice recognition was horrible and almost always called the wrong person for me. you're taking advantage of the new technology, even if performing simple tasks like this.

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Yes. Accept this fact as natural and move on. Nothing to see here folks. :)

12. Netherscourge macrumors 6502

Once or twice a month.

This past weekend I tried to use it to figure a tip for a restaurant bill, but it wasn't working.

Two days in a row I asked about a tip on a bill and I got no reply.

Seems to be working today though.

13. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

Turned mine off as well .... Almost entirely useless. Half the time it's unable to connect to the service, the other half I could have found the info faster myself.

Neat idea, poor execution.

14. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I find myself using Siri multiple times throughout the day.

Asking Siri to find a business or type of business is often much easier than having to do the search myself or, worse, sift through a store's website looking for the 'find a location' links.

When exercising it's MUCH easier to talk to Siri to change songs, playlists, set timers, and so on than to stop what I'm doing, take my iPhone out, and do it all manually.

Her usefulness while driving is a Godsend.

Perhaps it's partially laziness, but (often before bed) I simply say, "alarms" to quickly check them and, "reminders" or "notes" to set any last minute thoughts down.

Sure, it occasionally (rarely) hears me incorrectly and writes the wrong thing, but, then again, it's probably less than Auto-Correct while typing.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

16. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

You can do all of that with Google Maps on any iPhone. Siri is a nice to have. Not absolutely essential. I see Siri's biggest use for when you are driving, like some other poster mentioned here.

17. hexonxonx macrumors 601

A few times a week, usually to set my timer or alarm.

18. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I only use it to set my alarm when doing to bed or taking a nap. So 0-2 times a day

19. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Correct me if I am wrong, but I would have to type all of this in in Google maps, no? The point of Siri is to get rid of typing. I don't think anyone claims it will give you better information than a Google search (yet, anyway). It's a thing of convenience (as is the smartphone, for most I would say). I tell it what I want to find while I am walking, driving, etc. and it does it for me (usually) without having to fiddle with typing.

20. terraphantm macrumors 68040

This. For most other things, it gets it wrong often enough that it's just not worth using. Especially if I try using it in the car.

21. Uguubot macrumors member

Uguubot

I did a poll on this! You can check it out here. But it looks like the majority of people only use it sporadically.

I myself use it nearly daily, but I don't rely on it. I use it for the "Play fun.", or "Read me my messages". It's very helpful, but the novelty does wear off.

22. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

23. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Yes, you can do all of that typing, using Google Maps, etc. This was just simple and easy. And I think that's the point. It doesn't necessarily replace anything, it just makes things easier to use.
    And as I said in my original post, I had no intention of upgrading to the 4s and certainly didn't feel the need to do so simply for the sake of Siri. But it was very convenient and useful.

24. drober30 macrumors 6502a

Couldn't agree more!!!!!!

25. SvK macrumors 6502

SvK

I set multiple reminders with SIRI per day:

"SIRI remind me to return netflix DVD at 10 am tomorrow" .....etc, etc.