How old of an iMac can still have a current version of OS?

Turnpike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I'm about to purchase an iMac 27" (Mid 2010) and I'm wondering (worried) if this will be able to be the same as a brand new one-of course not the look or even the speed or the retina display, but the software- would I be able to update it to be completely the same software as is currently on the new iMacs? or is it too old of a model?

I know that some of the older iPhones don't/can't/shouldn't be updated to the newest software, because of performance issues, what about iMacs?

I would use it/them (in case I find another) only for basic browsing, and the calender and Pages and basic iCloud and iTunes things, nothing taxing that I can't easily do on the macbook air.

Thanks in advance for your help and input!

** a little more info, it's got 4GB of Ram which I can upgrade, and it has an intel i3 in it.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
I'm about to purchase an iMac 27" (Mid 2010) and I'm wondering (worried) if this will be able to be the same as a brand new one-of course not the look or even the speed or the retina display, but the software- would I be able to update it to be completely the same software as is currently on the new iMacs? or is it too old of a model?

I know that some of the older iPhones don't/can't/shouldn't be updated to the newest software, because of performance issues, what about iMacs?

I would use it/them (in case I find another) only for basic browsing, and the calender and Pages and basic iCloud and iTunes things, nothing taxing that I can't easily do on the macbook air.

Thanks in advance for your help and input!

** a little more info, it's got 4GB of Ram which I can upgrade, and it has an intel i3 in it.
My inlaw's 2007 iMac with 4GB RAM runs the latest os 10.10. You have a few years left of upgrades I would guess.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
My inlaw's 2007 iMac with 4GB RAM runs the latest os 10.10. You have a few years left of upgrades I would guess.
I've heard mentioned that Apples policy is to support hardware for seven years. Software support seems to be somewhere around there. I've been figuring eight years. With that as a basis, I find it hard to justify a 2009 for anything above a trivial amount of money as it's only got two years until it's eight years old. A 2010 would be an improvement. I'm about to buy a 2011. Sure, some people use machines for specific tasks that don't really need current OS support: media server, word processor, etc.. Personally, I want the OS support and find buying a computer I'm going to only have for a couple years more trouble than worth.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
A 2007 iMac can run Yosemite with 4GB of RAM, a 2007 Mac Mini cannot. Sometimes some of the new features with the new OS don't work. To me, lost functionality and security in Safari became important.

With the apparent breakdown of Moore's Law and the fact that most tasks a lot of people perform don't need anything more than a current i3 processor, I'm hoping we're going to see further extended OS support in the future. Yes, wishful thinking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.