how old were you when you first truly realized that you aren't so young anymore?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by luminosity, Jan 29, 2008.

1. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

As the title asks, when did you first realize that you were genuinely getting older? Maybe have more aches and such, got crows feet, a wrinkle here or there, or just looked/felt older than you ever remember?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

When peeing in pools was no longer seen by other parents as...."cute".

3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

when I stopped being ID'd at the liquor store. :eek:

or when service people started calling me ma'am...

4. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

When you're not allowed to sit at the "kids" table during family gatherings. Duh.

5. Chuckypool macrumors member

About 34. Now I'm 36 and it's not getting any better :mad:

6. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Four. As soon as my fourth birthday I looked back on the good old years and realized it would never be the same.

7. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

When i saw hairs, where they were not supposed to be:eek:

8. gertruded macrumors regular

Still young at 70. Feeling old is a state of mind, not body.

Gertrude

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

After I got married it started to get hard to stand up after crouching. Incidentally it was probably all the physical over work I was doing at the time.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Absolutely agree. When I was 10, 20 years old seemed old. When I was 20, 30 seemed old. Now that I'm 30, I still don't feel old. I am in the best shape of my life, I am getting the most out of life, living life more than I ever have and things are only getting better. I plan on taking care of my health and fitness so that I can enjoy everything the world has to offer for a very, very long time.

There may be people younger than I am, but I definitely don't feel old. :cool:

11. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

Oh really? ;)

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

probably a couple of years ago, but more recently its hit home a bit more. its not bothersome, just a realization.

13. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

when you start looking more forward than backward. Thinking about what you need vs what you want. when i started making every decision myself. started buying my own furniture, even kitchen appliances, without even thinking of consulting my parents in the decision process. I started learning what I REALLY liked. Also when my friends started getting married and buying houses. That will really open your eyes!

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, those are all realizations I went through as well, and they are by no means a bad thing.

When factoring in life experiences, independence, maturity and perspective, things definitely get better and better the older you get.

To this end, I like to think of myself as a fine wine - I just keep improving with age. :cool:

15. RacerX macrumors 65832

Well, I just turned 40 and so I can now say not at 40. If I keep up at this rate, I could be in my 60s before I start feeling old.

Frankly, I was really expecting some major change from childhood to adulthood. You know, something that would make me into... well, what ever adults are supposed to be. Hasn't happened yet. :D

It is funny that people see marriage as the turning point, but seeing as I was living with my wife at 18 and married by 20, it just seems like a natural thing to share my life with someone else... and in no way takes away my youth.

What is really strange is that I don't look all that different now than 20 years ago... and people were saying that at my high school reunion too. But when I look at photos of my father or grandfather, both looked significantly older at 40 than at 20... and significantly older than I look (or feel) now.

My mother, on the other hand, is as beautiful today as she was in her 20s, so I most likely take after her in that way.

16. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Depends how you frame the question. Personally, I felt like an adult when I got my first apartment lease without a co-signee. As for feeling "old", give me a few dozen years.

17. TheBonk macrumors 6502

TheBonk

When you can't fit in the McDonalds playplace anymore.

For real, it was in 2007 when I turned 18. It's a big step because other people recognize me as an adult. They treat me like an adult. Both at work and school. I am legally in control of my own life.

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Well said. I definitely felt a lot more "adult-like" when I finished University and started a full-time job, making my own money and subsequently spending and investing (i.e. managing) my own money. Buying my own car, going traveling, getting my own apartment - I definitely enjoyed and embraced that lifestyle a lot once I got to that point.

And yes, regarding actually feeling old, I think as long as person takes care of themselves and cares about their personal health and fitness they should have no reason to feel old for a very long time. I know I don't plan on feeling old for several more decades. :cool:

Ah yes, twas a sad day indeed... :(

;)

19. iCube macrumors 6502

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Um......after you got married, what sort of physical activities did you start doing so close to the ground?

21. AceWilfong macrumors regular

AceWilfong

22. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

I don't think I'm old; I'm 14, I am still a child or minor by law. :)

23. astrostu macrumors 6502

When I stood up in front of a class I was TAing and talked about the impact of comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 into Jupiter in 1994 (when I was in elementary school) ... and got blank stares. :(

24. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

when I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in my spine at 22.

I have to take Methocarbamol and Tramadol HCL regularly.

~Crawn

25. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes