How poor is the font on a MBA (or any non-retina screen) in Mojave?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Lara F, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Lara F macrumors 6502a

From what I understand Mojave removed anti-aliasing - I'm wondering if anyone running the beta on a non-retina screen could report how noticeable the effect is vs. High Sierra? Thanks.

2. dcmaccam macrumors member

Hi, I have a Late 2011 27" iMac running High Sierra. I also have a 2015 11" MacBook Air running Mojave. I don't see any issue with the fonts.

3. Troy2000 macrumors regular

Troy2000

Font rendering at native scale has undergone significant improvement since the early beta releases. I find it to be perfectly acceptable on my 32" 4K display.

4. Lara F thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good to hear, thanks! 2011 MBA so not getting Mojave for now unfortunately, but with Apple's pricing these days I may have no choice but to get another Air when this one bites the dust. :-/ I can live with the non retina font rendering as is, but wouldn't want it worse.

5. Troy2000 macrumors regular

Troy2000

I would suggest having a look at this thread. Your MacBook Air is actually perfectly capable of running Mojave.

6. AlexJoda macrumors 6502a

AlexJoda

I am running Mojave on my newly bought MacBook Pro Mid 2012, the last one without Retina display (and the last one that has all the ports and is fully serviceable on my own, disk, RAM, battery is easily exchangeable). Mojave is a massive downgrade regarding the display! I am thinking to go back to High Sierra, because this is not fixable so easy. Even the console patches for enabling subpixel antialiasing did not solve the problem because this did not bring back the old subpixel rendering used in former MacOS.

One can say that everybody is now using Retina displays, but I will not upgrade my 5K iMac too because I am using a second 1440p 27" display with it. Every 1x display (and some say even Retina displays and 4K displays to some degree) is having this problem.

The display quality in Mojave in unacceptable for me and until this is not fixed I will not upgrade.....
    --- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2018 ---
    Unfortunately it will get much worse with a non Retina MBA...... (look at my other comment)

7. Lara F thread starter macrumors 6502a

@AlexJoda Thanks for the alternate input, sigh. I'm sure tolerance varies per person. :/ I'm guessing you already updated to the latest beta version?

Maybe just as well I'd have to jump through hoops to install Mojave, I wouldn't use the dark theme anyway so not missing out there. And in the meantime pray for a miracle not-outrageously-priced retina MBA update next month (hah). :p

8. AlexJoda macrumors 6502a

AlexJoda

I think they need to bring a Retina MBA to eliminate the last non Retina computer if they don't want to risk protest with offering Mojave with it...It's a suitable difference to the former MacOS but you will notice it...

9. robvas macrumors 68030

10. wubsylol macrumors 6502

I am honestly not a fan of Mojave font rendering on Retina screens either, however this is probably just down to preference and it being different generally.

11. inarush macrumors member

inarush

Jeez, it looks so blurred. I am now unsure if I want to update my non-Retina Mid-2012 MBP!

12. lunarworks macrumors 68000

Ick. But as someone who has to use Windows at work, which has much worse font smoothing, I can learn to live with it.

13. ijlakw macrumors member

Completely agree... totally unacceptable. Fonts are slightly blurry and lighter. There has to be a way at the command line to modify this.

14. arpi macrumors newbie

arpi

Installed on a 2013 non retina iMac. Fonts look horrible. It is a pain to work with this font rendering. Went back to high sierra after an hour.

15. ugh macrumors member

Just upgraded to Mojave. OMG. This is utter c***! Looks like there is no way around it. Barely acceptable on retina displays, total trash anywhere else, including my Apple Cinema display. This macbook pro won't even support a Retina external monitor. Why did they even allow this upgrade?

WTF.

Downgrade in process! Jobs would have never let this happen! Unbelievable!

There needs to be disclaimers everywhere - anyone that values fonts, DO NOT UPGRADE.

16. harvester32 macrumors member

I ran into the same thing and installed the GM candidate through the beta program. I went back to HS and will be stuck here until they address this. Fonts can be blurry enough (hence the reason for smoothing), we don't need help making them look like C**p!

17. buran-energia macrumors regular

I don't notice much of a difference on mbp 13 2017.

18. ManuCH macrumors 6502a

I notice the issue on my external 27" 4K display as well as on my Apple Cinema Display. The absolute worst is if I use Google Chrome - it's completely unusable, it gives me an eye sore.

Interestingly, not all apps behave the same. I guess it depends on what fonts they use.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2018 ---
    OK, apparently it can be fixed by using the following command:

Code:
    defaults write -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled -bool NO

19. ugh, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018

ugh macrumors member

Sorry this does NOT fix it. Still much worse than it used to be. The old subpixel font rendering system is simply gone!

20. Merode, Sep 25, 2018

Merode macrumors 6502a

Merode

I use MacFamilyTree and yesterday after installing Mojave I see signifcant aliasing in tree view rendering. It's not exactly fonts but I would have noticed it earlier - the difference is quite dramatic. I did not know of any such issues in beta so it was not me looking for issues.

I wonder if these two things are connected.

EDIT: It's on late 2013 rMBP, so retina.

21. ugh macrumors member

People found these issues in beta, there are many threads. Apple doesn't care. I feel like an idiot for not finding those threads before upgrading. Apple has lost my trust.

22. Merode macrumors 6502a

Merode

I see that aliasing on retina screen though. I think I'll contact developer.

23. ugh macrumors member

IMHO the "retina" screen is not quite high enough resolution to not have grayscale antialiasing appear significantly worse than subpixel rendering. You get literally 3 times the horizontal resolution by going to subpixel rendering.

I get the feeling that the whole rendering engine is focused around the new pentile iPhone displays, and without a stern "NO" voice at Apple they just gutted the whole thing even though there are millions of devices that still benefit from this.

24. ChrisChaval, Sep 25, 2018

ChrisChaval macrumors 6502a

ChrisChaval

I have not upgraded only and exactly because of this issue

some say there ain't no noticeable difference on non retina screens, others say there is

the screenshots in this thread seem to speak a clear language. would like to see a comparison between non retina screenshots HS vs Mojave though ..

I will not go Mojave with my MB Air nor with my Mini which is connected to a non retina screen

what is an OS good for if you can barely read the fonts?

and how do you dare dropping technology quite obviously needed by products you are still selling today ?

25. TokMok3 macrumors 6502a

Fonts on my MacBook Pro 15 2015 16GB are very dark and clear today, yesterday after installing Mojave the fonts were kind gray and blurry specially in Safari. I let the system index all night and this morning I restarted and the fonts in Macrumors are very sharp and clear.

The only problem that I have is rendering a PDF with preview. On the MacBook Pro the fonts are crystal clear, but on my LG (2560 x 1080 (UW-UXGA - Ultra Wide - Ultra Extended Graphics Array) monitor it's a pain to the eyes to read text using preview because the fonts are not clear. This external monitor was able to display crystal clear fonts with Sierra only.

Fonts on my MacBook Air 11 2013 8GB are very clear, but I had to install a display profile for altering the color with the extension .icc, I founded this tweak in this forums long time ago, this makes the screen colors darker.

Well, that's what I have observed so far.