How prone are the new unibody MBPs to wear and tear?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wikoogle, Feb 14, 2010.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I ask this question because the paint on my silver Sony Vaio's right mouse button has worned down to near white and there are also scratches.

On appearence, the Sony Vaio looks like it uses the same sort of coating as the MBP. But apple advertizes that they use adonization on their MBPs and I'm not sure if the Sony Vaio's do.

I've owned silver iPods and they never had their silver coating wearing down to white or show scratches even after heavy use.

So I'm curious if the MBP's proneness to wear and tear is closer to the silver iPods or the Sony Vaio.

Here's a picture of the wear and tear on the Vaio...

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help.

Here's a picture of the sony vaio model I'm referring to that shows wear and tear...

[​IMG]

And here's a picture of the silver iPod I have that hasn't had any similar problems and supposedly uses anodization.

[​IMG]

Which do you think the MBP's coating is more similar to?

2. Winters macrumors member

You can see a few exemples of how it can wear down here.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Aren't the Viaos plastic? The MBP has powder coating, which can chip but it's not common.

4. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Thanks for your help. I used imageshack like you suggested.

I'm not sure, yeah, I think they are plastic.

I was just wondering how likely the MBP is to have similar problems after extensive use, but it sounds like the replies so far that it's not going to happen, and the only thing I need to worry about is chipping if I drop the laptop. :)

5. Winters macrumors member

6. phrint macrumors 6502

That's not really a valid situation as you can tell the OP in that link clearly did not take care of her MBP. There is no way that chipping would happen without beating it around.

7. Winters macrumors member

That op did say the contrary thought but yes it is easy to falsify the truth on the internet :)

8. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

I got the unibody macbook pro the day it came out in oct 2008 (actually was the first one out of the store with it) and there is not one scratch on the upper surfaces. The bottom of the laptop has some wear, but everything else still looks really good actually.

9. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I have sweaty palms and my powerbook got the pitting problem where I rest my palms. Now, with this unibody macbook (1st generation) it doesn't have a scratch.:cool:

10. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    No wear and tear on mine after having it a year! :D But I take really good care of mine, and don't let anyone stare at it too long. ;)

11. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I'd be seriously surprised if a MBP did show that sort of wear.

12. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

mine is more than 2 years old (pre unibody) and it still looks great..almost new!

13. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

at an apple store, just to try it, i took my nails and (tried to) scratch the top of an MBP as hard as i could. i just couldn't scratch it. there were some white marks, i think from my nail rubbing off, that just wiped away...i was pressing HARD

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The aluminum can easily scratch and dent but if you are careful with your Book you won't see any scratches or paint coming off. These machine are and feel solid.

15. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

well the MBPs are made of aluminum so the kind of wear in your picture wont happen, that being said however it can scratch easier as show in post #2

Man that iPod Mini brings back memories...

16. Winters macrumors member

I couldn't help but think something like this when I read your comment :D no offense meant.

Markus working at the apple store see some guy scratching at the mbp on display.
    applestore Markus: Hey joe, look at this guy next to our mbp, what do you think he is doing?
    applestore Albert: (With a dubious looks) Hmm...
    The customer is now scratching really hard at the mbp.
    applestore Markus: Think we should call the the police or an ambulance?
    applestore Albert: Just act as if you didn't see him with a bit of luck he will leave without causing trouble.
    The customer leaves the store with a relieved face.
    applestore both: phewww....
    applestore Markus: Wth was that about?
    applestore Albert : I don't know but there are more and more weirdos this days.

17. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

LMAO. I'm cracking up here. :D

18. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Wow. Ive had my 13" MBP for 6 months now and although it has a few marks on the bottom casing. From the looks of it that laptop was not kept very well.

19. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Very, very solid...I can't complain about the body at all, and I use mine all the time....I'm currently having a problem with the hard drive SATA cable, which looks pretty flimsy upon opening the computer, but that's another story....to the person who said it is a powder coating, do you know what the powder is? Is it more aluminum? I clean my computer pretty regularly with ethyl alcohol, which Apple says is safe, and haven't had a problem yet, but I am curious now about the surface coating and whether it would have long term effects mixing with the alcohol. I guess I had always assumed the surface was just plain aluminum but if it's a powdered surface stuck on somehow...hmmm....

20. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

lol i made sure nobody saw me, and if they did, it would look like i was innocently holding my hand above the top casing, looking at the laptop...