How religions are born

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by (marc), Aug 10, 2011.

1. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Here's how religions are born:

Summary of the video: indigenous people see planes on American air force bases on Melanesia (a group of islands in the Pacific) and, since they have not been in contact with technology before, have no idea what's going on. The Americans give them some of the supplies that the planes bring in, in order to keep the people happy. What the indigenous people end up doing is clearing landing strips in the forest, building mock "planes" and a "control tower" out of straw and praying to the sky in hopes that real planes will land to bring them food. Obviously, nothing happens. The end.

If you're not atheist, please explain the difference between your religion and this Cargo Cult.

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Rhetorical question much?

3. (marc) thread starter macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Uh... what? :confused:

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm scratching my head over that one as well.

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

One difference is the various cargo cults at least have some basis in reality,it is indeed possible that the great silver birds or Prince Philip will return with more great gifts, with other religions the chances are nil.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- that stings. But it is a good point.

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Lol, i love their theory. When all else fails, blame the white man. I wonder what would have happened if they saw at least one black dude at that airport?

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They probably have reasons other than airplanes to draw that conclusion.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well based on the quotes and other threads by marc the questions are leading question with either a reason to bash or troll the people to agree with him/herself.

I would not expect much of a real responses to what looks like nothing more than than a trolling thread.

10. (marc) thread starter macrumors 6502a

(marc)

I expect adult people to be able to explain the choices they make. After watching the video, I think it's fair to ask what the difference between an established religion and a cargo cult is. Doing so has nothing to do with trolling, even if I deliberately word my posts provocatively.

Well said :D

11. codymac macrumors 6502

So well put, it deserves being quoted again. Bravo, sir!

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

It is interesting to see this thread. Are there any Christians who are willing to discuss the other religions that arose about the exact same time Christianity did? How do you explain the other 4-5 religions that did not survive and their dogma that was almost identical?

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

If you are so sure religion is wrong then prove God does not exist.

I could also say that you wording your post provocatively proves that you do not want explanations. You just want a reason to bash and attack people who do not agree with you.

I find that the people on both sides of the fence atheist and religious people can be closed minded and attack those who do not agree with them.
    One has to be willing to adjust their beliefs as new information is brought in.

Either way goes back to the question can you prove God does not exist?

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Rodimus, you can't prove a negative. Christians are the ones who claim a god exists when there is no evidence for the existence of such a being. Christians are the ones making the claim. It's up to them to prove their claim, not the reverse.

At least this cult can observe that planes DO exist.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

You should know by now that the onus of proof is the one making the claim of something existing. I can't proof that a flying spaghetti monster does not exist nor any other thing my imagination can come up with. To prove existence, you must well prove existence, not merely deduce that if one can't prove it doesn't exist, then it must exist

I do agree that the way he encourages a debate is one where any other position other than the one he is pushing comes off as irrational, when it is not the case.

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

You have clearly met quite different adults than I have.

17. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Religion is meant to deal with the unknowable (e.g. the meaning of life). To compare this cargo cult to established religions such as Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc. completely misses the point of mainstream religions.

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

So you agree its all made up?

(edit)

If not, then it's not all made up? I'm confused.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Just because something is unknown does not necessitate the existence of a "god". This cult is a perfect example of that.

20. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Some stranger slipped a bit of Owsley's finest into my coffee one morning. As a result, I saw god. It was as real to me as Fox News or the Blue Angels over the state fair, yet (unaware of the doping) I cannot explain it. It was not a choice. The best I have to offer is it happened when I played Black Sabbath at 78 speed.

We can discuss it in heaven, with Pascal.

21. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I agree completely. But I think you missed a key point of what I said. Religions don't deal with "the unknown" but "the unknowable." That's a key difference. This cult deals with an "unknown" not an "unknowable."

And just to be clear, yes, I know that the existence of unknowable things does not necessitate the existence of a "god." I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was arguing that anything necessitates anything from my post.

22. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

How did they get the camera crew in there to film all this?

23. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I'm confused by your post as well. I never indicated it was necessarily "all made up" or anything close to that.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Nothing is completely unknowable forever. To this cult why planes exist and where they come from is "unknowable" in their minds. And anything we can't explain right now will most likely be explained at some point in the future.

25. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Just a couple things off the top of my head that are by definition unknowable because they are unobservable:

- Anything outside of the universe/whether there exists anything outside of the universe
    - The meaning of life/whether there is a meaning of life

Mainstream religion is not trying to solve questions like, "How does gravity work?" People don't join religions because they think things like, "I have no idea how gravity works. It must be a miracle! There must be a God!"