how repairable will the iPhone 5 be?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by illpod.com, Sep 11, 2012.

1. illpod.com macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I've just finished doing a write up on how repairable and compatible the new iPhone is likely to be. At this point it is all speculation but if your interested in how the internals fit together then it might be worth a look. I'd love to know peoples thoughts.

Thanks
    James

illpod.com/index.php/news/?p=113

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

nice writeup

Would be worth way more in a few days with real internals vs rumors

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I would hope the back windows are not glass or else when people start busting them your gonna be dealing with alot of pissed off people with costly repairs.

4. illpod.com thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm hoping to do another write up once I've actually got my hands on the device and I'll definitely compare the rumors to the actual components.

----------

This was something i was thinking of covering in the article as well, as from what i can see the glass windows will either be glued on or screwed in from the inside. both are gonna be a complete pain to replace.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

So, if I try to disassemble an iphone 5, is there a place to get a rumor screwdriver, or will a regular one work?

6. illpod.com thread starter macrumors newbie

From what i hear the iPhone 5 will use the same pentalobe screwdriver as the 4 & 4S. other screw related rumors were thought to be fake (i think)

Update: see here http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-5-asymmetric-screw-hoax-2012-8

7. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

The fact that the iPhone 5 will open from the screen side instead of the back like the 4/4S will make it easily repairable, like the 3G/3GS.

The screen gets broken the most on iPhones and Apple made it hard to get to with the 4/4S since you had to completely remove all the innards to get to it. With the 5, you can just remove the 2 screws and pop out the display assembly and replace.

8. illpod.com thread starter macrumors newbie

Unless it is glued down like the iPod touch 4 and latest iPads.