How Robin Wright got same pay

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 18, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ay-house-cards-co-star-kevin-spacey/84532080/

she got the money NOT because she is a woman, but because she did her research and thus EARNED her pay.

male/female makes no difference, if you think you are worth more have a crack at it.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Seriously JK?

That works for people who are either already powerful or have the power of a major public image. This doesn't work for women in a typical job setting. The numbers don't lie.

3. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

This is a false premise. No one is arguing that a worker should get a certain amount because they are a woman.

The argument is equal pay for equal work.

The story helps to support the idea that woman are unpaid, for no concrete reason, just 'cause.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

so ALL the women and men on the show should get the SAME pay since they are all actors? please.
    --- Post Merged, May 18, 2016 ---
    I know a female engineer who made about 20K over another engineer (male) with BOTH doing the SAME job, hell she made 7k over what I did. it did NOT bother me, I was happy with MY pay.

6. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

The show is terrible, so it is unimaginable that anyone on that show is deserving of $500,000 episode.

But, I digress. Maybe you are unfamiliar with the show you are writing about? Frank and Claire Underwood are the two lead characters in House of Cards. They are the only two characters who have appeared in all 52 episodes of the show.

What is the argument that they shouldn't be paid the same amount?

Why was Robin Wright low-balled, if it was not because she is a woman?

How often are female leads paid less than their male counterparts?

How often are females leads paid less than secondary male players?

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Could have something to do with no one knowing who she is.

8. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Is one more well known than the other?

Is one more accomplished/recognized than the other?

And, to the bottom line, is one a bigger draw than the other?

9. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Yes, after four seasons, no one who watches the show knows who she is.

Claire is a demonstrably more popular character, yet no one who watches the show knows who she is.

She was paid only 16% less, because no one who watches the show knows who she is.

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The issue of the gender-pay disparity is a complicated one.

Starting out with the reality that for a very long time, many businesses really did rationalize paying women less than men, and offering them completely different career options. To a certain extent this still happens today.

When you hear about "women earn 72 cents for every dollar a man earns" though, you do need to understand thats not totally because of discrimination. A certain amount of it is due to the fact that men are more likely to take dangerous, dirty, challenging physical work: Roofers; semi-truck drivers; mining and forestry. Women with similar lower educational levels tend to work jobs that don't pay as much: cashiers and waitresses.Men are also more likely to take jobs where a large percentage of their earnings are "at risk" - commissioned salespeople and brokers. Women are more likely to take jobs with a steadier - if lower overall - income stream. And men pay a price for that risky work - they are statistically far, far more likely to end up injured or killed on the job.

In some higher-paying professions women face challenges if they choose to have children. Taking a couple of years away from the workforce creates challenges to becoming a partner at a law firm or investment bank. The sheer number of hours and travel required to become a top corporate executive. Whether this is "fair" or not is up for debate.

There are some professions where women earn considerably more than their male counterparts. Top runway and fashion modeling, for instance. Giselle Bundchen (Mrs Tom Brady) out-earns her well-paid husband by a considerable amount. Even the top-paid male models rarely make more than mid six figure incomes.

The pay of Hollywood actors and music stars? Thats mostly, but not exclusively, a matter of mysterious forces, but is generally market based. In the case of House of Cards Robin Wright's character occupies a different position in the story - and fan appreciation - than Edie Falco did when she was playing Carmella on The Sopranos. Falco was well paid, but she didn't earn nearly as much as James Gandolfini did, especially towards the end of that series.

11. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Did you never see "The Princess Bride"?

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." (for those who did, to laugh again)

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

love the show, they should be paid what the PRODUCERS think they are worth, nothing against her character I just like Spacey better . EVERYONE is lowballed, it's up to YOU to determine what YOU are worth and make the decision accordingly.

13. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Robin Wright is one of the Executive Producers.

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

pffft, her character is ok, I preferred Kate Mara before she was pushed into the train.
    then she gave herself a raise, good for her :p

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm always tempted to fill out a name tag in this manner.
    [​IMG]

16. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Robin Wright is in a very unique position. In most states employers can, and I think most employers would, fire employees who compared salaries (though it happens all the time).

Most workers do not have the protections Robin Wright has as a union member and as a producer on the show.

Most of us cannot negotiate equal pay for equal work if other workers' pay cannot be revealed during negotiation and used as leverage.

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it is no ones business what others make, I found out AFTER we both left the CO in question, if YOU settle for the salary offered that is YOUR PROBLEM. only please where the pay should be equal is min wage, after that? you are on your own buddy, if you think you are worth more have at it.

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

There are people who have never seen The Princess Bride? Inconceivable.:D

19. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

She's on which show? House of Cards? Oh, that Kevin Spacey show on Netflix.

20. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Employees should be free to share any personal information they choose without fear of reprisal. Employees should be free to use that information for any purpose they choose, including informal collective bargaining. Most workers do not have this right and are prevented from doing so as a matter of law.

21. FieldingMellish Suspended

There would be no show without Spacey. This was written with his type of sleaze acting. Another great at acting sleaze was already on the hit show Blacklist. Spacey gets top billing and he gets paid more. Spacey indisputably has more star power than Robin Wright.

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I can agree with the bold. source for the law please.
    Spacey is AWESOME.

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

That was crazy. However, I never got into Season three. After Frank became president the show seems to lose direction.

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it gets better my friend, she turns into hillary :eek:

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You can't be this dense, Kevin Spacey is a much better known actor than this lady.
    I saw it, had no idea she was the same actor, still not on Spacey's level.