How scratch proof is the Apple logo on the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrXiro, Sep 25, 2012.

1. MrXiro, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Picked up one of these skins tonight. Fake leather with the most amazingly detailed cut outs I've ever seen, check out that speaker grill!

They even cut out the Apple logo on the back. Aesthetically it looks awesome!
    But I'm wondering if I'm leaving a big scratchable target on the back of my phone... How durable is the apple logo? I haven't gotten my phone yet so I don't know what one is like (arrives next week).

Should I put a clear skin under the leather skin to cover the apple logo? Or am I just being over protective at this point?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

3. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Dbrand.com

The 5 skins aren't up yet though. I hit up the admin guy and he had me just buy the 4S skins and will ship me the 5 skins.

The pics are from their Facebook page.

4. mpossoff macrumors 68020

My iPhones always have gotten front screen shields and back shields ASAP. I'd get a back shield.

5. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

So I should put it under the leather skin? It's not a case. More like a protective sticker with a leather pattern.

6. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Yup, that's what I did when applying the Element/Vapor carbon fibre look back for my iPhone 4S. The carbon thing was just a sticker, so I slapped that on top of a rear clear protector.

7. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Cool I will do that. Hope it doesn't make the back too thick.

8. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Those detailed cutouts look fantastic. I can only imagine trying to apply that thing correctly. But I keep looking at the surfaces around the headphone plug and charging plug and thinking they are going to get marked up. Think I'll be checking back to see when these come out. Nice find!

9. eddyecb macrumors regular

10. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Is the logo aluminum?

11. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Report back when you get your skin, Mr. Xiro. I am getting my Bodyguardz carbon fiber skin tonight. I like the fit of these much more though, so I may just scrap the Bodyguardz if this one looks half as good as they present it. What color did you order? They told me only black and white, leather or carbon fiber could be shipped same day for the iPhone 5. I like the black phone, but man the white is a nice contrast and makes that chamfer stand out nicely...

12. ihonda macrumors 68000

13. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I threw down for the black carbon version tonight. In email earlier he said it would ship same day, so hopefully it is headed my way tomorrow! I can't wait.

14. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I got a black back and red sides as well as white back with white sides. The red sides won't ship until next week... All leather patterned.

I had it on my 4S for about a month and a half... Looked great. Then i sold my 4S for my 5. Held strong and was awesome! I will know about these probably around Friday or so. On the 4S the apple logo want cut out though. I actually haven't gotten my iPhone yet either. It'll be here Friday.

15. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I got an email saying it left Toronto yesterday morning. I'm only in Detroit, so I'm hoping to see it Friday or Saturday.

16. JesalTV Guest

17. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

You're being overprotective. A skin beneath a full body cover is ridiculous.

18. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

White Carbon Fibre back with titanium band would look cool on my white iphone. Wonder how long to ship to UK :(

19. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

After getting the phone finally, I agree. This thing is pretty tough... I'll just have to keep it out of the pocket I keep my rusty nails, thumbtacks and ninja throwing stars in.

----------

It's not for everyone... I dig the white back on black face... white on chrome and white phone would looks great too.

Personally I am just going to put on a black back and red sides on my phone when I get the pieces. Red will be another week or so before I receive it.

20. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

No joke, man. Ninja stars will tear that **** up! :)

21. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Seems that this thread is more about cases etc. than the title question. Anyway, the answer that would give is: it's not scratch-proof at all.

It's not something that bothers me, but I noticed that my iPhone's logo got scratched within a few hours of opening, having been placed on normal tabletops etc maybe a few times.

I'm pretty certain that the Apple logo and 'iPhone' on the back are actually made from a reflective plastic or foil that's glued onto the aluminium back, in the case of the white model, at least. That's my conclusion from my observations of how they reflect light, stand out on the back and from the appearance of the scratches.

22. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Well I'm asking because the skin I'm buying leaves the logo exposed. Thank you for your input. I'll keep that in mind, I have the black one.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

As anybody who's had the original iPhone, 3G and 3GS knows too well, it's not scratch proof at all, unlike the Apple logo that sits behind the glass on the 4/4S.

24. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Update

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally got my skins. They were nice enough to send me a white Apple Logo to cover up mine and I think it looks a hell of a lot better like this anyway!