How scratched up could the space grey back of an iPad get?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by silverblack, Aug 12, 2015.

1. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I have been using a TPU case on my Air 2, but it surely adds a lot of weight and bulk to the iPad. I am considering taking off the case and use the iPad without any case. Could anyone doing this already tell me how scratched up the back of a space grey iPad Air could get? A photo would be really appreciated :)

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. Royksöpp macrumors 6502

Royksöpp

If I were you I would just get a back skin.

4. wickedpapercut macrumors member

wickedpapercut

I agree with the suggestion to get a skin covering for the back. I scratched my iPad on day-1 by putting it on a table with a slightly rough ceramic tile surface. Certainly not catastrophic, but I could see the scratches. Got a skin that adds virtually no weight or thickness and haven't thought about it since. I also think it looks better with the skin than just the aluminum back. Do a search for "iPad skins", find something you like and then you'll have a customized iPad and you can forget about scratches.

5. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

Here's my thought about skins. They are not cheap ($10, 20?), and they don't protect the sides and corners. So my iPad will still be scratched up, and the resale value will take a hit anyway. I might as well save the money, and honestly I hate the shinny look of those skins.

6. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

on my iPad mini I have one of the Apple cases that just covers the screen, and I always lay it down on that side, so the back of the iPad is facing upwards.

I haven't got any scratches on my iPad, the only problem is that the cover gets dirty :(

7. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

I appreciate all the suggestions of alternate ways of protecting iPads. However, I really just want to see how scratched up it would get, at worst case scenario. The iPads displayed in stores don't look all that bad after all. Perhaps mine won't be too bad either without a case?

8. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Mine is a 1st gen iPad mini had it from new, I'll send some picture's later if you want so you can gather what it looks like?

9. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

It wouldn't really be a good example since you don't usually put down your iPad on its back. Thanks for offering anyway.

10. Seekeroftruth macrumors member

I use mine without a case, and it still looks perfect, but I am very careful with it and keep it in a sleeve when it's traveling in my backpack. I had zero scratches after four-five months of very heavy daily usage, before my wife accidentally smashed it on the floor. My replacement is still perfect as well, till my wife gets ahold of it anyway.....

11. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

I have a first gen iPad Air however I believe the color is the same as the Air 2. So I bought the tablet in March in used condition however if I remember correctly the original owner bought it in December 2013 and used a smart cover. I was like you at first I bought a front and rear cover case however I have been bored of it so I took off the case and used a smart cover instead. The back is scratched at some areas but it's not a big deal and I really don't give a **** as long as it is not on the front screen. Anyway, here are the shots so you can have an idea :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

It doesn't look all that bad. Thank you very much for sharing.

13. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

I have an iPad Mini 1 (space grey) that I haven't had in a case or babied at all. The back actually looks completely fine despite carrying it in my purse frequently. There are a few scratches on the front along the bezel though. I'm gonna use a case or sleeve for my next iPad.

14. jqc macrumors regular

been using my mini 2 caseless, moderate use for the last few months around the house; only put down on its back on smooth surfaces (kitchen table, counter tops, bedside table, etc) but havent exactly babied it when setting it down and picking up other than being conscious not to slide it across the surface too much. no scratches.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I usually drive my gear into the ground so I don't care if it gets some battle scars. And if I pass it along to a neighbor's kid then hey, it's free to him so he can live with the cosmetics, most likely.

However, I'm also a bit of a klutz sometimes when it comes to my iPads. My compromise with the mini has been to put on a Speck case. Yeah it adds to the weight. It beats wearing out the replacement part of the AppleCare+ thing though ;)

16. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

I do the same thing. On my silver air I put it on it's back a couple of times and got some small scratches. With my current air 2 I'm not doing that again. So far scratch free.

17. jicon macrumors 6502

I have a white iPad 2 and a recently purchased iPad Air 2 (April). Both just have smartcovers to keep the weight down. And... the iPads never leave the house. That said, no problems with scratches. I'm good at putting the iPad down either on a soft cloth/surface, or placing it cover side down. I get some weird discoloration on the Apple logo on the back, but other than that, it's been fine.

If I took one with me everywhere.. then yeah, I'd look at a full case for the thing, but I like keeping it nice and light with just the smartcover.

18. joscejrod macrumors 6502

joscejrod

The colour of iPad mini 1 is slate black (very easy to scratch), like iphone 5 colour. Apple introduced space grey colour (much more scratch resistant) with iphone 5s, ipad mini 2 (retina) and ipad air.

19. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I'll offer an alternative that has worked very well for my space gray mini.

I use mine basically naked, except for four small (about ½ inch diameter) circles of clear matte finish skin material applied near each corner of the back. These are practically invisible and serve two purposes:

They keep the back elevated very slightly above any surface it is resting on so that scratches, etc. are minimized.

They provide a "grippier" surface so that the iPad isn't as prone to sliding around on a slick surface.

After a couple years my Space gray iPad Mini looks like new - no scratches.

20. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

ah sorry I got confused. My PHONE is slate grey. You're right, my iPad Mini is different.

21. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

My Wacom stylus damaged my iPad Air back case when both are put together in the sleeve bag. It looks awful. So I bought Tech 21 hard case it doesn't feel very heavy to me.