How secure is the lightnig cable when plugged into the phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skidbubble, Sep 24, 2012.

1. skidbubble macrumors 6502

Does the cable fit snugly? Is it secure? The old 30 pin cable would easily hold the weight of the phone. Will the new lightning cable do the same?

2. Cripps macrumors regular

Yes. Have no fear. :)

3. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

Very sturdy. I thought it was going to be wobbly and fragile like a microUSB but it's not.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I wouldn't "dangle" it, but it's a tight fit...I gave my old 30 pin dock away, as I only need to physically connect my ipad3 and iphone5 to my imac for IOS updates.

The new lightning cable is far superior to the old connector with the little grabbers on each side. Much less chance of scratch damage and a far more elegant solution...That 30 pin was way passed it's sell by date IMO.

5. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

6. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

Very. In fact, I would take care when un-plugging it so it doesn't shoot out of your hand due to the force you need to unplug it.

7. Steve686, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2012

Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

The cable "pops" into place.

This is caused by a couple of retainer indentations in the plug that mate with tabs inside the phone to give it a more secure connection. I can actually dangle the phone upside down while holding the cord, and shake the phone up and down with what I would estimate at a few g's of force versus the 30 pin connector that would disconnect in this position with a fraction of that force. One area the lighter iphone 5 helps.

One of the biggest advantages I've noticed in day to day use of the cable, is that it doesn't dislodge a little bit and break the connection like the 30 pin would. Example: if you pull the cord to one side, the 30 pin slides out a couple of millimeters and you lose connectivity, sometimes without knowing it. That's not going to happen with the Lightning connector. It goes straight in, and straight out, with not lateral movement at the base.

Attached Files:

8. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

9. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

10. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I thought it feel cheap and fragile like a USB cable, but it's VERY sturdy.

11. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I can confidently hold my iPhone 5 at a 45 degree angle via the lightning plug and not have any fear.

I think we will definitely see dock accessories for this phone as the connector is more than suitable. Also, the display models in the Apple Store have special docks made for them; they work great. Check it out.