How sensitive are the noses holding the back cover?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SquadChop, Nov 21, 2011.

1. SquadChop macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I am looking for someone who has already removed the back cover from his iPhone 4 or 4S, so that he or she can tell from her own experience.

The reason why I am asking is that my last iPhone 4S had a loose back plate, which I noticed while placing a screen protector and removing the bubbles under it. Suddenly the back plate moved a little bit and from that time I knew that it was not solid and loose. What I do not know is if I broke one of the noses in it and if that was the reason for the loose back or if it came out of the box like that.

Does anyone know how solid these little hooks are? I now have a new iPhone for some other reason and - picky as I am - first checked if the back on the new phone is loose as well. Luckily it is not but now I am wondering if I have to be careful with the back and the noses, so that it won't get loose again?

Any experiences?

2. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

You would sooner break the glass than the plastic hooks and latches.

3. SquadChop thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, seems that I translated wrong from German to English. In Germany those little hooks are also called noses. ;)

4. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Ah! I understand. Ha. I thought it was something I totally did NOT know about the iPhone. :) What's the German word?

5. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

OP, here's a few pictures of what the inside of the back cover looks like. You can see the hooks (or noses) running up each side. They're pretty tough and I would think it would take a lot to wear them out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SquadChop thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks for the pictures! Is this an original back cover of an iPhone 4S? Looks like it's an aftermarket one, isn't it...?

Well, than I think the back cover of my old phone has come out of the box that loose and I just recognized it later. Otherwise if there really was a latch broken there would have also been a gap or so I think.

So, thanks again for your opinions!