How soft is the aluminum? [My question got answered, thanks you all]

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nevzorus, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

I've heard members on here say that the aluminum is soft and easy to scratch on the iPad. HOW soft is it really? How hard can you be with it?

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

It's soft enough to scratch which is the reason many use rear case protection, me included. Any aluminum cases are susceptible to scratches. I have MP3 players where I have scratches the aluminum because I wasn't careful.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would say that it is relatively easy to scratch.

4. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

In the first week I had my iPad I didn't use a case. Even though it never left my house and I only used it on the couch the back has scratches on it. I think the cotton fibers in my shirt did it.:apple:

5. MacMane macrumors regular

Honestly I've had the new iPad since the first week it was released and I only use the smart cover and I don't have any scratches on the back. There is like a very very very small scratch on the edge but that's it. And I bring my iPad everywhere. It's well built, the aluminum feels softer than it is. Go to the apple store and check out the iPad for yourself. Cases are cheap. The smart cover is a great investment, it protects the glass when you aren't using the device, and it protects the back when you are using it.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's very soft. Even some cases will scratch the iPad.

7. Nevzorus thread starter macrumors 6502

8. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

Most metals are 'soft.' Think about anything metal that you own. It probably has scratches on it. That doesn't mean it is not sturdy.

9. Nezben macrumors newbie

If the metal was hard, would that not make it heavier? And it would have to be thicker too. It would have to be a different metal.

10. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Homestly I never use a case for both my iPads when I'm in the house and only a smart cover when I'm out and I have zero scratches not even a blemish

11. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Definitely prone to scratches but I think the iPod Touch is the worst. You don't want that device without a skin/case.

12. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

Just get a smart cover and make sure when you put down on a rough surface, you put it 'face down'. Or you could double the thickness and ruin its looks by adding cases all over if you're in the business of re-selling these things. But for ordinary use, it's not that bad.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Similarly, think about the hard things that you own. Most of them are probably brittle.

There's no magic material out there. If you're worried about scratches then take whatever precautions you're willing to take. Nothing new here.

14. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I didn't have any scratches on my 3rd gen iPad. What I did end up with, though, was a scratch on the screen.

15. donnaw macrumors 65816

The 'softness' of a mineral is actually rated on a MOHs scale. The aluminum on your iPad is most probably an alloy but the hardness is still probably close to that of the pure mineral which is a 2.5 -3. I found it interesting that tooth enamel is actually harder.

The scale goes from 1 (talc) to a 10 (diamonds). So aluminum is pretty soft, even in alloy form.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

16. d0vr macrumors 6502a

Put it this way, my iPad went face down when I had it as the screen was more scratch resistant than the back was. YMMV.

17. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I still have to disagree with pretty much everyone here.

I have 2 iPads and have used one everyday of my life since the 2nd one was released and have used zero protectors except the smart cover and don't even use that when I'm in the house and have never got a scratch front or back ever!

So for those that say theirs is all scratched up and how soft the back is made is really confusing me. And I leave mine down all the time zero protection

18. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

My original iPad, no scratches what so ever.
    My new iPad is all scratched up from the smart cover... Pretty smart huh?