How Steve Jobs 'out-Japanned' Japan

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by rdowns, Jan 28, 2011.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

An excellent article. A bit long but well worth the read. I quoted a few good paragraphs.

I urge all our resident fanboys (Mac, iPhone, Android etc.) to read it. We can all learn from it. :D

Link

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I hadn't heard the Parker/Jobs or Ibuka quotes before. Good stuff. Too bad Sony no longer sticks to putting out high quality stuff. That's a shame.

3. sysiphus, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2011

sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Sony has transitioned from being a high-end electronics firm to a media creation/distribution conglomerate that sells electronics on the side. With a few exceptions, their electronics are no longer top-end, and they're more interested in selling media than good hardware (compare Betamax+winning the lawsuit against the MPAA to allow home recording to the Sony BMG CD rootkit debacle, the removal of OtherOS on the PS3, etc...)

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Actually, Wired was right. The iPhone barely sold for the first ten months it was out in Japan. It only took off after it was offered for free on contract.

As for the "72 percent of the smartphone market", bear in mind that the only phones counted as smartphones for that were something like one Blackberry, one old Android phone, and one Windows Mobile phone.

5. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Same as Apple really. look how they've pretty much dumped the pro-users, server markets etc. All they are interested in is iToys in all the guises. At least Sony has decent laptops (Vaio Z!!)

6. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

That don't run OS X, unfortunately.

7. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Matter of opinion, but Windows 7 Ultimate 64 on my work Laptop is as good as, if not better (in some areas) than OSX. Certainly for HD content (mkv's) & Audiophile uses (flac) etc.. I've found Windows 7 much more capable than OSX

Especially when the only real developments in OSX have been their app stores... ugh!

8. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Great read. Thanks for sharing.

The end of this article points to some of the rumors surrounding Apple's future. If even half of these rumors are true, the company will be in great shape with or without Jobs, though I hope the 'ol boy isn't done just yet.

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

As someone else has already pointed out, this sounds ominously familiar.

What I got from the article is that Apple is the new Sony -- Sony had its chance, they were great, but they lost focus and quickly tumbled away. Let us hope that Apple won't make the same mistakes.

10. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Indeed. For the moment, I'm afraid I've already moved on from Apple gear--their hardware specs are frequently too costly/not competitive as compared to the competition, and "sealed" hardware that allows for little to no tinkering/home repairs is unappealing. Granted, nobody gives out schematics like Woz did for Apple in the early days, but at least with my Thinkpad, I can get the hardware maintenence manual free, and the whole thing can be disassembled with a Phillips-head screwdriver. Windows 7 is good enough that OSX doesn't present large material advantages to the average consumer* (unlike the comparison against XP/Vista (once OSX hit Panther, at least), so Apple needs to have some compelling hardware to maintain interest. I'm afraid calling things "magic" and putting them in a shiny metal case isn't going to do it.

*(For me, a dual-boot of Fedora 14 for daily use plus Win7 for games etc is practical, pleasant, and doesn't leave me missing OSX a bit)