How strong is the Iphone 5 glass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abz1981, Sep 18, 2013.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

This is a stupid question I know. However going to throw it out here anyway. How strong is the Iphone glass. I know its Gorilla 2 glass from my understanding. However what force would it normally take for the glass to be pressed hard in order for any damage to incur internally. Not that I am wanting to do this. But just asking, as a general thought. I mean I guess Apple goes through its toughest QC, tests, when it comes to pressure, for example if someone has the phone in there back jean pocket and sits on it, or if someone presses into the glass etc. Is it possible to have internal damage behind the glass that is not visually seen or heard? Any ideas?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I don't have numbers, but there are plenty of cases right here on MR where people sat on the phone and shattered the screen, bent the unit, or both. Usually one of those symptoms happens far before any internal damage occurs.

3. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Not sure why anyone would feel comfortable sitting and putting their full body weight on a $650 electronic device :confused:

People that do this are just asking for trouble.

I mean it's not like like I would feel comfortable doing that with any other type of electronic. Imagine sitting on your laptop. Sounds idiotic right?

4. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah that is what I was thinking too. Has to be some sort of visible damage or bent on the phone, for the glass to shatter or break.

5. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Probably meant having the iphone in the back pocket, which is just stupid, and looking for damage. I won't even put it inside my front pants pocket. Either it goes into my shirt or use a belt clip. ;)

6. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

7. itjw macrumors 65816

I sat on mine and it straightnened my ass!

Especially since these are a handful of accounts on the INTERNET, I wouldn't assign too much "evidence" to the fact that it's easy to bend/break the glass.

It's glass. It can break. It also happens to be pretty darn strong stuff, and unless you abuse it, there is no reason to believe it will ever have any issues (as evidenced by the millions and millions of users that DON'T have a problem, compared to the, what?, 12 threads here? Even if you assume it's 1 out of 100 (it's not, but even still), it wouldn't be anything to worry about.

I haven't met anyone in real life that's had either a problem with "scuffing" or an issue of sitting on it and having it catastrophically fail.

8. SatManager macrumors 6502

SatManager

I had an iPod Touch which also uses the same glass in my front pocket and my flak vest pressed down on it with enough force that it cracked the screen. I was shocked as I didn't even think about the vest pressing down there at that angle would cause that much pressure.

9. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

this gorilla glass tale is pure marketing.

if your common sense tells you that your phone's glass might break upon performing a particular action, you should expect to happen just that.

if it doesn't break, consider yourself lucky.

10. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

1.21 Fig Newtons.