How stupid can Texans get?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Stanley Fish at NYT

Not only are Texans insisting on rewriting US and world history, now they want to turn US education back 150 years to the time when Harvard and Yale's sole criterion on admissions was whether the student could pay the fees. Many were actually illiterate.

Does Mexico still want Texas?

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Presumably, this contract would cut both ways and allow the students customers to sue the university if their teaching product isn't up to snuff?

3. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I guess Texas is trying to pull out ahead of SC for the most shameful state huh? :p

4. Shivetya macrumors 65816

How dare they!

Giving back education to the students instead of the faculty. University education has become big business only aimed at providing for the faculty, just like public education, the students are mere grist for the mill.

College education costs have risen so much driven by the greed of the schools and their faculty. They drive the costs up and then get the government to step in and provide loans so that students can in debt themselves to support the faculty and college. If they get an education that can pay off the bill then I guess they were just lucky.

5. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

So much critical thinking in this post. Good job!

6. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

So much personal attack in this post. Good job!

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Texas sure has been serving it up lately. Not surprised by anything they do anymore. :(

8. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

9. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Yeah. Everybody look at Texas and laugh!

{quickly hiding my South Carolina flag}

{and pretending not to just now notice that I misspelled my location below my avatar}

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Sounds sorta dumb to me, but a dozen or so folks certainly aren't the "all Texans" as the title implies.

However: "...the plan calls for college and university teachers to contract with their customers — that is, students — and to be rewarded by as much as $10,000 depending on whether they meet the contract’s terms. The idea is to hold “tenured professors more accountable” (“A&M regents push reforms,” The Eagle, June 13, 2010), and what they will be accountable to are not professional standards but the preferences of their students..."

It would probably not be unwise to actually read what was proposed, as opposed to Fish's interpretation.

Regents have historically looked askance at tenure. Not just in Texas, either, given the number of "tenure wars" around the country. But I can't see a bunch of old boar-dinosaur conservatives thinking that the kids oughta run the show. That does not compute.

I'll be nice: Only one Aggie joke: There was an Aggie who was majoring in animal husbandry until they caught him at it one day.

11. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

With the exception of $10,000 bonuses, this isn't too far from what is already taking place in US and, to an extent, British universities. Student reviews don't just play a minor role in the epidemic of grade inflation...

12. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Texans can get really, really ****ing stupid.

13. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Wait so you actually think it is a GOOD idea for students to have direct control over their teachers benefits. You honestly don't see a conflict of interest there.

Granted there have been/are certain problems in our education system, some teachers are protected and do very poor teaching because they are not interested in teaching. Is this the norm? far from it I personally have never had a professor who I felt was un-interested in the well being of the class.

I've had a couple of bad/inexperienced professors but I would say that I have mostly been taught by caring and competent (if not excellent) professors. I have only personally herd of one teacher who was totally un-concerned with teaching or the well being of his class. And he was fired...

14. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

May I ask how that is any better than saying "black people can get really, really ****ing stupid"? I really don't mean to be offensive to anybody and I don't like to get into straw man territory, but do you realize you just specified a group of people and generalized them as being stupid, right? Just because you don't agree with someone's legitimate point of view, its okay to not only call them stupid but also take the extra step and be just as bad as the racists. Bravo.

15. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

Just about as stupid as democrats can...

What would you all think if someone posted a thread with the title, "How stupid can Mexicans get?" Yeah, that's what I thought. Racism ftw!

16. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

That was my point exactly. I find it kind of hard to believe the masses feel saying things like that is acceptable.

17. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

And idk if I agree with this reform because I don't know enough to make an accurate opinion, but I do know that those stupid Texans have managed to create a state with an amazing economy and employment rate compared to most of the other states.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

No kidding.

I mean, if next week they decide to teach that the sun revolves around the earth as a valid "alternate" theory, would anyone really be shocked?

I don't know what's more bovine down there, the cattle, the legislators, or the people who keep voting the latter in.

19. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

ha

blah blah blah texans are stupid blah blah blah

Personally, I find people who make hasty generalizations stupid.

20. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Maybe I should have worded it, "How stupid will Texans get?"

And, of course, it's all about following the money.

Looks like Perry is selling Texas' educational soul in exchange for re-election funds.

Yeah, this really is all about greasing palms while at the same time ensuring Texan University students will be too dumb to ask the right questions about political shenanigans.

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't believe that professors should be held directly accountable to students via some contract. There is too much of a conflict of interest in such a situation and its ridiculous.

However, I do think universities should have more power to hold faculty accountable for poor performance and to rein in their influence. Faculty have an amazing and inappropriate amount of power in many cases and influence policy well outside of their areas of expertise. They often dictate what buildings are built, what programs are run (no matter what the cost), and how much they are paid.

Academic programs and fiscal responsibility need to be considered together, but faculty often only value academic concerns and are oblivious to costs or logistics.

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Lots of good (and bad) commentary in this thread.

One thing that might be overlooked at this point is that the university system - in Texas or any other state - is different from the primary and secondary public education systems.

Students have the option of which university to attend. They have the option of which programs to study when they get there. They even have the option of not going at all. Add all those up, and you end up with someone who falls more cleanly into the "customer" category than a typical 8th-grade student; you get someone who is free to take his business elsewhere if he feels his needs as a customer aren't being met to his satisfaction.

This could be acting as another layer in the motivation category for this provision.

23. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Thank you for providing that glaring omission in this "discussion".

The mentality in this country of holding educators responsible is 99/100 directed solely at the "free schooling" like kindergarten, elementary and high school.