How tap water became toxic in Flint, Michigan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jan 11, 2016.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Very ****ed up situation here. City manager was telling people the water was fine yet GM stopped using it to clean auto parts as it was corroding them. You can lay this on Gov. Snyder.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/11/health/toxic-tap-water-flint-michigan/

2. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

yes the Governor took control of the state government and had final say in everything. well not everything but he had control of a lot and look what that did. power and corruption at it's finest. then took forever to respond after lying did not work.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    If it can prove to be a direct conspiracy, and not the tragic end results of bad policy...

...well, even then, probably not.

5. jerwin macrumors 65816

Conspiracy? Hah. The Emergency Manager is solely to blame. You don't need to prove conspiracy when the blame so clearly rests with one person.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Then I guess it depends on if it's due to gross ineptitude, or if they did it knowingly and willingly.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I can't say I know all or even most of the facts, but the decision to switch the water source from Detroit to the Flint River to "save money", I would expect that the local water authorities were monitoring the water on a regular basis. No? This sounds criminal to me.

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

From what I understand, they were and were told that a $100 a day treatment would have prevented the damage to the pipes but they didn't want to spend the money. They told people the water was fine even after they knew it wasn't. Just unbelievable that they thought they would get away with this.

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

10. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The real problem here is the law that gives a governor the power to dissolve local government and replace it with a manger of his/her choosing who is basically a dictator.

11. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

hope there is jail time for that dictator. the only good thing is there is no way to hide what has happened.

12. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He essentially poisoned over 100,000 people.

13. jerwin macrumors 65816

Actually, the decisions were made by the Governor's handpicked manager. The people of Flint really don't have a say in the matter.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

They did this whole thing to cut costs when in the long term it will be far more expensive to clean up.

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Been watching Rachel Maddow breakdown this situation for awhile now. It's truly despicable.

16. Huntn, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Could you (or anyone) clarify how damaged pipes introduced lead into the drinking water? Thanks.
    Update: The article below describes how.

My impression is that this is much more than an oops, if it was something that caught them by surprise, because of bad decisions that were made, and letting it continue because it would result in a **** storm, and they thought they could keep it secret, is beyond the apology accepted stage. This better result in prosecution.

Oh yea, that's a Republican implemented idea. Is this what happened in Flint?
    Update: The article below affirms this. The Grand Old Party does it again, some kind of group delusion that frequently results in despicable and disgusting actions. If I was religious, I'd say it is the Devil's work. I'm telling you, you don't want the GOP anywhere close to leadership on a County, State, or Federal level. :mad:

Most galling is that the people of Flint had no say, no referendum, just dictation, being dictated to, by people who were incompetent and think that a My Bad, will suffice. The GOP just wants so badly to be fiscally responsible, are lacking in viable solutions, and consequently make terrible decisions. It will be interesting to watch the finger pointing after the damage has been done.

My Go-To News Source Huffington Post- Flint Michigan. Granted I would not call Michael Moore a neutral spokesperson, ;), but what is stated in the article appears spot on.

By Michael Moore.

To poison all the children in an historic American city is no small feat. Even international terrorist organizations haven't figured out yet how to do something on a magnitude like this.

But you did. Your staff and others knew that the water in the Flint River was poison -- but you decided that taking over the city and "cutting costs" to "balance the budget" was more important than the people's health (not to mention their democratic rights to elect their own leaders.) So you cut off the clean, fresh glacial lake water of Lake Huron that the citizens of Flint (including myself) had been drinking for decades and, instead, made them drink water from the industrial cesspool we call the Flint River -- a body of "water" where toxins from a dozen General Motors and DuPont factorieshave been dumped for over a hundred years. And then you decided to put a chemical in this water to "clean" it -- which only ended up stripping the lead off of Flint's aging water pipes, placing that lead in the water and sending it straight into people's taps. Your callous -- and reckless (btw, "reckless" doesn't get you a pass; a reckless driver who kills a child, still goes to jail) -- decision to do this has now, as revealed by the city's top medical facility, caused "irreversible brain damage" in Flint's children, not to mention other bodily damage to all of Flint's adults. Here's how bad it is: Even GM won't let the auto parts they use in building cars touch the Flint water because that water "corrodes" them. This is a company that won't even fix an ignition switch after they've discovered it's already killed dozens of people. THAT's how bad the situation is. Even GM thinks you're the devil.

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

My post was more a tongue-in-cheek statement about how people always want "small government" and whine about things like EPA and DEM regulations, yet this incident is a perfect illustration of why we have and need these types of regulations.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

LANSING, Mich (Reuters) - Michigan Governor Rick Snyder, facing protests, lawsuits and calls for his resignation over drinking water contamination in Flint, on Tuesday apologized to the city's residents and called for the state to spend $28 million on fixes.

"To you, the people of Flint, I say tonight as I have before, I am sorry and I will fix it," Snyder said in his annual speech to lawmakers, adding that federal, state and local leaders had failed residents.

Snyder, a Republican, asked lawmakers to authorize $28 million in spending on diagnostic tests, health treatment for children and adolescents, replacement of old fixtures in Flint schools and day care centers and a study of the city's water pipes. He also said additional funding would be needed.

Some people have reported rashes, hair loss and other problems since Flint, under a state-appointed emergency manager, switched to Flint River water in April 2014 from a Detroit-run water system to save money, attorneys for the residents said.

Complaints about the water began within a month of the switch, but Flint did not return to Detroit water until October 2015 after tests showed elevated levels of lead in Flint tap water and in some children.

The corrosive river water caused more lead to leach from Flint pipes than Detroit water did, increasing contaminants in the tap water.

President Barack Obama met on Tuesday with recently elected Flint Mayor Karen Weaver over the crisis, which has become part of the U.S. presidential debate with candidates on both sides questioning the slow response.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said it acted too slowly to address the situation in Flint.

Snyder promised to release his Flint-related emails from 2014 and 2015 on Wednesday. He has rejected calls for his resignation by some protesters.

"Lansing failed in one of its most basic functions, ensuring the well-being and health of our citizens," state House Democratic Leader Tim Greimel said after the speech.

At least 1,000 people protested at the Capitol on Tuesday, some holding baby bottles filled with brown water.

yahoo

19. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I love how the governor is trying to pass this off as a "natural disaster".

Like anyone with two functioning brain cells will ever buy that crap. They really thought they would get away with this huh? Disgraceful.

20. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

This is a direct result of Republican policies of less Government and budget cuts, they took a perfectly good working system and changed it to something horrific for the working class and poor people, why, to save some filthy rich people from paying their fair share?

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'm sure the precision in which cities in Michigan have been run (Detroit/bankruptcy) didn't factor into the state having to pass a law giving the governor that authority.

[​IMG]

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

How is he going to fix irreversible lead poisoning? "Oops" and/or apologies is inadequate and insulting. Nothing less than jail time is acceptable.

I find it quite disingenuous when a political party that prides itself and in your face vocal about democracy, liberty, patriotism, the Constitution and the American way and have no problem with disenfranchising entire communities of self determination from the State Level. And then to save money one community is subsequently poisoned by a dictator city manager with the approval of the Governor. Something that is probably 1000x more expensive now than trying to go cheap. This is criminal.

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I don't think the problem stems from being a republican or democrat. It a failure of a bureaucracy that can't move quickly and has to make decisions behind a wall of paper. There is no one person responsible for this.

25. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Fair enough, but it's the right wing ideology that drives it, look at how much push back they gave when this was first brought to their attention, they acted like current House and Senate Republicans are now about climate change, total denial and unwillingness to do anything about it until people were hospitalized with lead poisoning.

On a much smaller scale, this is indicative of the implications of not acting on climate change.