How Texas is Whitewashing Civil War History

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jul 8, 2015.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This is why we can't have nice things.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...68226c-2415-11e5-b77f-eb13a215f593_story.html

2. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

No surprise, they're just taking a page out of the Faux News playbook and fabricating their own set of facts. No different than Ahmadinejad denying the Holocaust ever happened and the existence of homosexuals in Iran.

3. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

The term "states rights" in the context of the civil war is downright offensive. The only right they were fighting for was the right to own other human being they consider to be racially inferior. Every single confederate state specifically mentioned slavery numerous times in their secession documents. The "way of life" they were fighting to preserve was the institution of slavery. They sure as hell weren't fighting to preserve lifted pickups, grits and gravy, or NASCAR.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Judging by the low standards of the Texas BOE, I am shocked kids actually know how to read any history books.

5. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

6. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Yes, one meme on Facebook = the conservative vision.

On a lighter note you know that guy thinks he's a super badass with how dark his sunglasses are.

7. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Texas, showing how the stupid burns and pouring gas on the fire.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Correct me if I am wrong, for I am agnostic and I do not study the Bible or any other religious text, but didn't Moses lead his people out of slavery?

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Perhaps regular Moses did. But Republican Moses ™ did no such thing. Republican Moses ™ viewed slavery as America's first social security system because it was illegal to emancipate a slave in their old age.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

While I can't say it's unique, Texas is the only State I know of that teaches (or used to teach) their own mythologized Texas history and despite denials, it was about slavery among other things. See second link.

Mythologizing the Alamo

Causes of Texas Independance

11. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

Yes because this is a conservative only issue. Couldn't possibly also be the liberals removing flags from civil war era apps (ie Apple), and history focused attractions (Disney)? Nah, just conservatives.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Conservatives got the ball rolling, liberals took it that one extra step.

In the end, all it did around here was make the lift-kit kru fly full sized confederate flags out the backs of their truck beds. I've started taking bets on when one eventually snaps off, wraps itself around someone's car, and causes a pileup on the interstate.

13. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How is removing a symbol of racism and slavery rewriting history? The flag hasn't been banned. It was removed from state property, rightfully so. Anyway, I've been told by numerous righties that the Republicans took the flag down.

14. FreemanW macrumors 6502

OMG, I really wish Obama would come out against suicide, just so I could watch the population thin out a bit . . . for the better, of course. ;)

15. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I bet they feel like they're proving some big point too. So frickin trashy.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Shall we start flying swastika's around our state capitals?

17. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yes because free speech and states rights.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Even better was when I walked in on the tail end of a conversation concerning it. One of the employees at the local Mapco down on the corner is flying one out of her truck. As I opened the door, I saw her and another woman up in each others faces. It went something like...

"...it's a symbol of hate, and it OFFENDS ME!"

"I don't care what you think! YOUR PANTS OFFEND ME!"

The offended lady storms out, and I go to get my gas. She complains about the whole ordeal while I'm paying.

"It's a free country. I can fly it if I want to. I don't care if it offends her. Her pants offend me."

I say "Why? What was on her pants?" Not my slickest moment, I'll admit. For some reason, I was halfway expecting her to have, like, little swastikas or something on them.

She gives me this dead eye, talking to an idiot look. "...her pants offended me because her fat ass was in them."

"OOOH! Okay. Yeah, I get it now. Drama. Give me $25 on pump 8, by the way..."

It's fun down here.

19. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I don't know how you deal with that trash on a daily basis

20. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

How is removing the confederate flag from civil war games not rewriting history? Are you serious? Or did you not read my statement at all?

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It's hardly something I come across every single day. At most, I might happen across it maybe once or twice a week. And even then, it rarely ever bothers me. More often than not, I find it kinda funny due to how absolutely earnest some people can be about the most meaningless things.

22. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

It's a game, bro. I don't hear people making a big fuss when Clint Eastwood rewrote history in his movies (Hang 'Em High, High Plains Drifter, Outlaw Josey Wales...hail, pretty much all of the Westerns he stars in). Why? Because it doing so did not detract from the entertainment value.

The Confederates do not HAVE to be represented by the Confederate Battle Flag; they could be represented by the color grey. Of course, the Union has to be represented by the color blue for it to make sense. No Confederate flag in the game, WITHOUT rewriting history.

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Who is doing that? Example please. Btw, if they are, it's not because the government passed a law, it's because the company took unilateral action. If it's a Civil War game, there had better be a Confederate Flag to represent the losers. ;)

I'd like to hear some specifics about Clint Eastwood rewriting history in his movies. Thank you in advance. The Confederate flag has not been banned. States are simply putting this old symbol into the waste bin of history where it belongs, reserved for historical displays, not flying from the local courthouse flag pole. Some yahoo was driving around my neighborhood yesterday with a large Confederate flag flying off the back of his pickup truck.

24. sualpine, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015

sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

Games are
    Games have and do teach history. I learned a lot about Rome from Assassin's Creed 2. I learned a lot about World War 2 from Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. I learned a lot about the gold rush from The Oregon Trail. Providing examples that this has happened in the past is not an excuse for it to happen in the present.

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If your history lessons are coming from video games, then. I do sincerely fear for the people in this country, for there are so many inaccuracies in those games, it is unbelievable.

For example: Were the Indians in the Oregon Trail game really the bad guys, considering all that was going on in the country? Or do you just believe that Andrew Jackson was one of the greatest Presidents for what he did to the merciless Indian savages natives living here?

BL.