How the genius @ the Genius Bar took my IPAD 2 away...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mgtonezero, May 23, 2011.

1. mgtonezero macrumors newbie

I purchased an IPAD 2 about a week ago and noticed considerable "yellowing" aka light leakage on Saturday morning.

I made an appoint and took it in for service (I have several Apple devices so in general I was expecting good service) and they tested it and confirmed the problem. They offered to exchange but there were none in stock (which I was expecting), no big deal. Got a call later that day and I was told that it was there and I could pick it up at anytime.

Went in on Sunday morning and picked up my new unit, took it home and guess what! Realized more yellowing on the bottom right corner. Again, made an appointment and went in in the afternoon.

The "genius" came out of his hole and told me that he read my note and here was the deal--- they had already replaced my device once and as per "corporate policy" they could not do it again. So I could either live with the faulty device (as is) or receive a refund.

I told him that I was willing to exchange once more and if that was faulty as well I would be okay with a refund, he said that was not possible.

He had the audacity to tell me that this was a known issue and ALL IPAD 2 units have a certain level of "yellowing" and that most have accepted it as such....

My options... keep a faulty unit or get my money back (not counting the 4 trips I made to and from the store and the 2 weeks I had to wait)....

So here is my question.... 1.) is this a real "corporate policy", 2.) how arrogant can you be to think your device is a God's send and people should be "lucky" to have one in their hands, And... 3.) Did you just publicly admit that all IPAD 2 units are faulty to an extent?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd just call the phone support. I've had better luck with them than at the Genius Bar.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

1) Take the refund
    2) Walk out of the store
    3) Buy/consume hot pretzel
    4) Walk into store
    5) Buy new iPad
    6) Check for yellowing
    7) If{yellow} (return) else (smile)
    8) Repeat steps 1-7 as necessary.

4. Born Again macrumors regular

5. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

Agreed. I got the same bull line. Called Apple and was told nope it's not the customer's fault they sold a faulty product. This is rather ridiculous. iPad 3 can ferment for a good long time before I buy one. Not doing the launch day dance.

6. rikbrown macrumors regular

Problem is aren't most stores out of stock for purchase?

7. mgtonezero thread starter macrumors newbie

I did return it for a refund... I didn't have time to waste with their bs policies and the fact the guy really believed that people would live with a faulty unit just to say they have an ipad just pissed me off...

I think I'm going to waste for the Samsung Tab 10.1 and see how that works out...

The one thing about exchanges is that you don't necessarily get the same ipad 2 they have for sale... it's actually a special boxing and wrapping that only has the ipad and you keep your accessories...

while they can be out of ipad 2s for sale, the replacement units are of a different nature and that is totally separate from their sale items...

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Isn't this the 'new glue' isssue that goes away after a week?

What have you done to rule out that possibility? What I mean is, how did you determine that that's not the problem here?

9. patp Guest

i always seem to hear about inconsistent policies when dealing with the in store genius. Whenever I call Apple support, I get the same consistent polite help that is hell bent on solving my issues.

I'm sure how you treat them in person and on the phone probably makes all the difference in the world.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

This was in the news in the last few weeks so I think it's a corporate policy for the retail stores (not necessarily phone support) since it's widespread enough to make the news.

11. mgtonezero thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't determine anything, I took it in for them to determine the problem. If it in fact this was the problem, I would think they'd tell me as much.

If their reps can't make the distinction, how can I?

12. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

How exactly is slight yellowing at the corners faulty? I'd feel like such a ginormous pansy princess if I rejected iPad after iPad for harmless yellowing/light bleeding. Call me crazy, but the definition of "faulty" to me means theres an issue with the hardware that renders the device useless or hazardous to operate.

13. mgtonezero, May 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2011

mgtonezero thread starter macrumors newbie

seriously? a screen that displays colors that are different from the image you are looking at is not faulty?

I mainly use my device for presentation, video and photo screenings, etc. Mine looked very similar to the image below, please tell me you don't think that is normal...

Also, I know a lot of artist who use their ipads for their portfolios, yellow spots on the corner of your images, etc... not really an accurate representation of your work... how is a screen that has spots on it NOT faulty?

[​IMG]

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

If you think ANY consumer grade LCD panel is 100% true to color, you're in for a big disappointment. Even the most sophisticated, expensive professional level color calibrated monitors, costing far more than a crappy little iPad screen, need regular adjustment to maintain color neutrality, and even after calibration, 10 different monitors will show the same image 10 different ways.

15. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

Not a very good idea... I'd recommend trying another iPad or opting for the soon-to-be-released HP Touchpad.

As for your little adventure with the Genius Bar I believe you should have checked the replacement unit for light leakage before accepting it.

16. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

So if you walked into a dealer and bought a new car you'd be ok with it with dings and scratches? I mean it will still take you from point A to B. Right?

17. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

This is true but light bleed making a corner of a picture brighter is not the same thing.

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Freudian slip?

19. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

He/She probably intend to type "wait" instead of "waste". I bet that post was done in a hurry, although I could be very wrong. :eek:

20. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I thought the yellowing was just the glue residue that evaporates after a few days, isn't it? That's probably why it's corporate policy to not replace it.

21. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

Love it ! :)

22. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

uhm ... you do know what a Freudian slip is, do you? ;)

23. blackwind macrumors regular

Same here, exactly same problem. I have return/refund and repurchase 3times. Still has screen bleeding. On the last return i went to see apple store, the manager refused to replace it or even refund. He even mention, infront of me he can't have enough stock for customer. And this is second time he saw the problem. I address him, i am sure your stuff heard of it, its called "Screen bleeding". If it wasn't my daughter crying and her stuff on it that day, i woulda have chuck the d@mn on his head.

But the assistance-girl told me to hold on to it. And get it replace when they finally fix the problem....

24. Fernandez21 macrumors 68040

Fernandez21

as long as it is has an Apple logo on it.

25. iJays macrumors regular