How the hell do I turn off Facebook from following me on Safari?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dimi94941, Sep 29, 2011.

1. dimi94941 macrumors regular

Since I found out that Facebook follows you around the web even if you're logged out, I deactivated my account and deleted cookies, installed Safari Cookies extension and nothing helps! Wherever I go on the web, I see "Facebook.com and Facebook.net caches" and I don't visit Facebook AT ALL! Firefox has an option to block CERTAIN sites, but Safari only offers to block all or accept all cookies. So, does anyone know how do I completely block Facebook from Safari? Because I really like Safari and I don't want to start using Firefox or Chrome...

2. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Great question!! Considering that the USA and CIA don't have any qualms about demanding info about foreign invididuals (in other countries) from Facebook as they see fit, and that Facebook is logging your internet activities when you're not even connected to the Facebook site?!?! WTF? What is the idea here?
    Are we really gonna tolerate this nonsense? Facebook users all over the world needs to unite over this issue!
    (sorry for going off topic, but this is important.)

3. Hansr macrumors 6502a

What do you mean "Facebook.com and Facebook.net caches"?

A lot of sites use Facebook for login and there for communicate with facebook. If you delete the FB cookies and don't log in again you will not get the tracking cookies recreated.

If you are really so paranoid about the issue I recommend setting *.facebook.com to redirect to 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Facebook does not intentionally track users after they log out.

There was a glitch where you could be tracked, but that has now been fixed.

5. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Switch to Google+ and delete Facebook. I already did so, tired of Facebook changing everything without a care in the world for its users. Everything I read is how users arent the customers, the people purchasing ad space are. Well if you have no users, there is no one to click on the ad therefore you make no money...guess they didnt think about that.

6. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

7. dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

They CODED it that way, of course they knew what they were CODING when they were coding it, so how was that by accident? YOU DON'T WRITE A WHOLE CODE BY ACCIDENT!

@HazyCloud, thank you, I'll try that.

8. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Google+ can be just as bad with tracking. http://www.businessweek.com/technology/google-confirms-it-aims-to-own-your-online-id-08292011.html

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

BEFORE they fixed it!

If you actually READ the link then you'll notice that the post has been updated to say that Facebook has corrected the issue!

It absolutely WAS a bug, as confirmed by the article HazyCloud linked to

10. stroked Suspended

stroked

Does turning on private browsing stop Google and FB from tracking you?

11. Elyquin macrumors member

You are tracked

Try empty cache, reset safari, preferences>remove all data. You will still get cookies back even if you don't navigate to those sites.

They say flash cookies are the problem. I go to Adobe's site and delete everything and still 'cookies' repopulate.

After a while.. you will have over 100 cookies.. tracking you... EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T GO BACK TO THOSE SITES !!!