how the hell do you drag on the new Macbook air?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by ApplePie22, Apr 26, 2019.

1. ApplePie22 macrumors member

I bought my wife one for her birthday, I never use it. Trying to drag a folder from a folder to desktop, but the annoying double click thing, anytime you try and click it just opens the shortcut. I'm sure this is a total noob question, but I've searched online and settings no to avail...

2. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Click and Hold to drag the folder, icon, etc.

3. ApplePie22 thread starter macrumors member

when you click and hold it pops open as a window, which cannot drag

4. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Are you doing a single click and hold?

5. ApplePie22 thread starter macrumors member

yes, but the new touchpad has a double, single click, not sure how to explain it

6. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I don't have a Force Touch trackpad to try any of this out myself. Try looking here for some pointers. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204352

7. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

8. ApplePie22 thread starter macrumors member

I don't see anywhere that tells me how to drag a file

9. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

Try turning off Force Touch.

Basically, Mac trackpads are like smartphone screens. Press, one thing happens, press harder, something else happens.

If you have an iPhone, basically same thing re: select and drag apps/folders around.

Just need to dial in sensitivity, haptics, etc to where you are comfortable.

Personally, went through similar a couple of weeks ago when I replaced my old Mac with mouse buttons to a new one with these trackpads. Old habits took a day or two to die (but still catch myself trying to press non-existent button), but now in the hang of it re: treat it like a phone's screen.

10. TETENAL macrumors regular

Then you are pressing too hard. It's called "force touch" and opens the QuickLook window in Finder. It does other things in other contexts, like open a dictionary window when pressing on text.

Try pressing with less force or disable force touch altogether if you don't like it.

11. BuzzingCricket, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019

BuzzingCricket macrumors newbie

I've been using something called BetterTouchTool with a 2017 MacBook Pro and now with a 2018 MacBook Air, and it has been great in terms of customizations of trackpad, mouse, keyboard, etc...

Too many features to list out here but I've been very happy with it and ended up paying for it as well. Here's where you can find it:

https://folivora.ai/

As for dragging a window around, BetterTouchTool allows you to set a key or combination of keys to move window below the cursor if the key or keys are pressed while you move the cursor.

12. Morrissey macrumors newbie

Morrissey

Same thing happened to me with the Macbook Pro, and played with the settings and Voilá...

13. dangerfish macrumors 6502

I just click and hold on the pertinent folder with my index finger and then drag it with my middle finger. But clicking, holding and dragging with the index finger works just fine too. What is shown in the pop up window that you are saying appears when you click on it?

14. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

Back at the Mac... can also turn off "Look up & data detectors" or turn that option from one finger to three. I had that off on mine as I never use Quick Look, etc.

15. dangerfish macrumors 6502

You're just clicking the folder with one finger, right?