How The iPod Will Change Computing

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I will be, wall hopeing that AppleCentre Warrington (UK) will have some!

LONG LIVE iPod, (But not its PRICE!)

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
jajajaja!!!

Why the people of CNET's do not mention the forums at Macrumors.com for people to read what we really think about the "iPot"?

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Seriously though, If I recall correctly a lot of people in the forums thought the same thing as the reviewer, not so cool at first, but now everybody's getting more into it now that they realize the potential of this device.
If anything the review just echos the boards here.
Mymammaries is the only one still hating on the iPod, but he hates everything.

scottstover

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2001
iPod too shiny

Working at an Apple authorized computer store (M.C), we got an iPod in on Wednesday to demo. One thing I don't like about it is the shiny back plate. It is one that has to be cleaned every time you use it or you have a mess of finger prints all over it.

If I was Apple, I would have chosen a better plate on the back that was not shiny silver. Perhaps a titanium cover would have been a nice touch?

Everything else about the iPod is great. I like the controls (very logical) and the backlighting. Next year we will probably see iPod 2 with a color LCD.

By the way, no I will not be waiting in line. I took the day off. Don't think it will be that big of a hit right away.

S

sspahr

I already have mine. It came to my office via Fedex this morning. VERY COOL!

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
I think color would be REALLY low on the list. Battery life is key on these units, and color would hit that seriously. But the dual ARM-processor core of that "CPU" they've got in there could probably run some color visuals if they were to code for it... Interesting thought.

A bit impractical.

blakespot

Interiority

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2001
England
See you at the Apple Centre Warrington tomorrow then.

I think we can be sure that Apple will soon cut the price of the iPod (hopefully at MacWorld January) after selling sufficient numbers to the faithful...

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
What would you do with a color LCD iPot? that is as necessary as asking for color fonts in iTunes. Audio imput, that is it, a microphone input ana a mini jack. In that case every single reporter will own one and every single rock band and recording studio, you would be jumping to the professional market, not for the professional quality, rather than the problems resolved. Imagine to place an iPot in a conference room in place of using thouse small tapes format, or recording a band session in place of using a tape deck or buying a expensive Dat machines.
If Apple Add a stereo imput I buy it for $500.

SPG, jajaja (spanish)= hehehe (english).

I do not hate everything, I see everything, that is why people comes to me asking for my opinion, I know where the down sides are. Specially because a year ago I went to a conference and in front of 3.000 people I ask to the owner of a hudge web site, "where is the marketing in your site, I do no see the bussiness?" Every body just jump from their seats for my "small vision of the .com". That was the guy of Psudo TV that came to Venezuela, and one of the other companies had 250 employees, today they have 5 people and another 5 computers just in case. Now I have clients for the next 3 years waiting for consulting in their web companies, I just get pay for complaining and finding solutions.
Just yesterday some one that I know was offered a "super domain" for his company, I ask him "what is so supper about the domain that guy want to sell you?" I do don't know exactly buy it cost $1.300!!! Mmmmm. Wel, the domains cost $15 now. and I had explain him everything about the web market. Of course the other dude didn't want to build the site because "that was the expensive part".

But I know I'm the only one in the world that think that new born are ugly, but that is just me, I do no have kids yet, they are expensive and require too much time to grow up well, later on.

[Edited by mymemory on 11-09-2001 at 07:17 PM]

dsuycott

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2001
ipod

i like the articles vibe and i think as always apple is revolutionary.
one thing though, being aware of how popular mp3's are even though to me they have the sonic quality a cassette i wish people would stop billing them as an "mp3" player. if i'm mot mistaken they can play back aiff and wav as well as mp3's and probably mp2's which are 9 out of 10 times mistaken for cd quality audio files. sure you can get 1,000 songs on them but come on 5 gig that's 500-700 mp2's or almost 8 full cd's. i think i'll go with the quality over the quantity. also if anyone knows will the ipod handle 24bit files? this thing is perfect for me in the studio i don't have to burn refrence cd's i just copy the file to the ipod and go home not to mention transfering protools sessions from one studio to the other, i can't wait to get one...

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
again a salespitch (im a brainwashed believer in replacement plans) the iPod has a 90 day limited warranty...ridiculously insufficient. if you buy yours at compusa and want to have a two-year total replacement for 29.99 then ask them about the Mass-Storage TAP because technically, its a mass storage device and 30 bux on a 400 unit for two years AINT BAD.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
oh and another thing...the naysayers are underestimating the pure power of 5 GIGABYTES IN YOUR POCKET. run that through your head. think of the possibilities...its ridiculous.

p.s. the replacement thing...ANYTHING happens to it, as long as you have it bring it in and get it replaced. (WHOOPS i threw it against the wall)

[Edited by sparkleytone on 11-10-2001 at 08:14 AM]

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
My initial thoughts

well... tried it in the Apple Store - very snappy. Sales associates running EVERYWHERE with those round diaper wipe containers - wiping down the backs of all the iPods - they had about 4 out for playing around with.

I picked one up & it had the firewire icon up - was mounted. You can't do anything while it's mounted... but control through the iTunes 2.0.1 interface. very snappy.

one thing i thought you would be able to do is create playlist folders on the iPod itself... seems like it does this when you bring em over (based on identifying data about the songs) - i am transfering mp3s right now - so maybe i'm wrong about this ;)

bought it. took it home. the packaging is incredible! maybe less beautiful and bring the price down?

came with a decent charge on it already. plug it in 1st time and you can name it.

opened it up after it mounted on the desktop: comes with iTunes for 9 & OSX. And a pdf. Came with a CD too - don't even know whats on that yet... maybe utilitiy software in case whatever OS is running on it needs repaired.

this thing is SWEET! music PLUS i don't need to use multiple zip disks to bring stuff home to work on from work.

when you select a song, it takes about a sec or 2 to start playing it - only drawback i've noticed so far :(

also that middle button... i keep wanting to hit the menu button. maybe they could have switched those around (menu = middle button, select = top button)... or at least be able to configure them through a little menu.

KICK ASS APPLE. headphone things kinda suck - will replace them, but overall this thing is def. amazing. and while i balked at the price, i figured a 5G Firewire Drive in my pocket aint bad... no need for VST...

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
ok im a dumbass - just drag a playlist onto the ipod ;)

thing is awesome! and the volume goes up high enough without distortion that i could be working in a fighter jet engine testing facility and still listen to my tunes.

Disdain

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2001
Australia
Would anyone suggest getting one instead of an extra HD or is it not really optimized as an HD?

Aslo nice to see apple still keeps it's high prices, though I must admit I would rather pay more for the qaulity of an apple product.

===========================================
If I was Apple, I would have chosen a better plate on the back that was not shiny silver. Perhaps a titanium cover would have been a nice touch?
If it were ti wouldn't it raise it's price?

FYI, I'm bringing a new site up:

http://www.ipodhack.com/

...online in a few days.

Blakespot can you please do a huge favour and email me when it is up?

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
you could def use it as a HD. it ships with iTunes for 9 & X and a pdf right on the thing. i tried putting a big QT on it, and it played from the iPod without any problems at all.

the sound in those earbuds indeed is sweet - better than i expected. i get why the cord is white, but wish it was gray instead.

day2 of iPod... i keep liking it better and better.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
no.
its not expensive when you consider what it can do, what quality parts it uses, how useful it is, the ultra impressive specs of it.

Its small, useful, convinient, and i want one.

you shouldnt measure in "expensiveness", you should really measure in "value for money".

tage.com

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2001
Let The Revolution Continue

I just received 2 IPOD units from Apple via fedex a few minutes ago. When you plug it in, it shows up in iTunes, as well as on my desktop as a regular hard drive. I can load my OS and important applications directly onto this little deck of cards... and take my world with me any place I go.

There is a serious lack of cables here... It makes me feel as though I have forgotten something...

Did I mention it plays music? Long live Apple. Let the revolution continue!

W

Whatever

iPod Good

When I first read about the iPod I thought wow, this is cool. Then I read all of the negative press that the different Apple Boards have been giving it. I talked to several people and we're in agreement that the iPod is worth $400.00 and the "Apple Faithful" just don't get it. Anyone who travels would want this. Just last week I had to fly from Boston to LA and back and I wished I had one. Friday I have to take the train to NYC and again I wished I had one. These things are cool and the PC and "Yuppies" get it, it's just sad that most Apple owners don't.