How the US Funds the Taliban

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Nov 13, 2009.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Long article but worth the read.

It's time for us to pack up and go home.

2. Queso macrumors G4

So does this mean the Patriot Act can be invoked to seize the US Government's assets?

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

This is a big part of the problem I have with contractors:

It would be more effective to have the U.S. military deliver its own supplies. I'm well aware that would mean we'd have twice as many troops there, and a bigger military in general, but only on paper. Rather than sourcing things to contractors, the cost would probably be lower and things could be done right.

4. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Using contractors is a way to keep military head count down and hide a lot of what's going on. There are more contractors in Afghanistan than US soldiers.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

That probably depends on the definition of a contractor, but yes. I mean, there are some things that are more legitimately contracted than others.

6. awmazz macrumors 65816

Or its a way to make up the numbers when you don't have enough Legions. The Romans called them Auxiliaries.

The British did the same thing in Ireland and India, the Germans in Eastern Europe etc. Historically it's usually been more about numbers than politics.

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i refuse to call them contractors ... a contractor is some civilian guy who repairs a vehicle or does the washing
    if he runs around with a gun he is a _mercenary_