How to access a HD connected to a AirPort Extreme over the internet?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jorg1312, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Jorg1312 macrumors member

Jorg1312

Does anyone know if there's a simple easy way?
    I asked in the apple store but they looked at me like I was talking Chinese.

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

3. Jorg1312 thread starter macrumors member

Jorg1312

Yes, however if you actually do take the time, like I did, and read those threads you might not find them very simple, hence me asking for a simple easy way.

For example check the first link you posted and see how the guys actually struggle to get it working.

Like I mentioned, the guys in the Apple store were all pretty clueless themselves and only guessed how it might work.

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

I did take the time to read it no sense posting useless link. Apparently your definition of simple is push this button to share drive on internet as you have seen that is not available so you have to go with what there is if you want to do it.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

The simplest way would be to activate Back to My Mac.
    This, however, requires AirPort to be the external router having direct connection to your ISP.
    If you can take advantage of BtMM service, your shared disk will just magically appear on Finder sidebar, just as it does on home network.

If that's not possible, then you need to make 2 things:
    1) Either have a static IP address from your ISP or if that's not possible, use Dynamic DNS service to associate your possibly changing IP address with a hostname. That's actually just a convenience, because this enables to use a constant hostname instead of a numeric IP address (that might be changing at random intervals, if your ISP does not provide you with a static IP service).
    2) Forward port 548 (for AFP) and/or 445 (for SMB) in your router to the address of AirPort Extreme.

Once these are done, you can use command Connect to Server... (Cmd+K) in Finder and use the following URL to connect to your shared HDD:
    afp://yourhostname/ to connect using AFP (port 548) or
    smb://yourhostname/ to connect using SMB (port 445).