How to add a new album in Photos

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MrMinor, Jul 20, 2010.

1. MrMinor macrumors 6502

I have the camera roll, but is there a way to add new albums and move photos into the new album? I feel like there must be a way, but I am embarrassed to say I have not found it yet.

2. outphase macrumors 65816

It has to be done on your computer by syncing a folder or iPhoto

3. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahhh OK, thanks. So how exactly would I do it by those methods?

4. ski2moro macrumors 6502

Import all photos to iPhoto
    Click on the Plus at the bottom of the iPhoto screen to add Album.
    Add photos to Album
    Sync that Album thru iTunes.

If that isn't enough information, I will be more detailed if you need it.

5. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

6. PatM macrumors newbie

How do you do it if you have a PC rather than a Mac computer?

7. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

I will have to try it when I get home, but I think I can handle that. Thanks for the help!

8. outphase macrumors 65816

You can sync a specific folder on either Windows or Mac. Just create a folder with nested folders you want synced.

Only Macs have iPhoto though.

9. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

Depending on the OS you have on your PC, (ie. XP versus Vista, W7) you will have a folder titled My Pictures, Pictures, etc. You can create your own folder with the photos in it that you want to sync to the iPhone.

With the iPhone plugged into iTunes, go to the Photos tab in iTunes and select the folder you want to sync, then sync the phone. It will copy the photos to the phone.

Hope that helps you.

10. PatM macrumors newbie

So there is really no way to have new photos taken with the Iphone 4 to save by default to a specific folder on your Iphone? That is really what I want to do. I want to be able to change the default folder that the camera saves photos to.
    Does that make sense?

Pat

11. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

I'd like to know that too. Say, if I save a wallpaper from iWallpapers, it goes to Camera Roll. Is there a way to save it in "Wallpapers" photo album that I already have created and synced to iPhone's photos?

12. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

There is no way to tell the iPhone to put photos that are taken with the phone into another folder besides the camera roll.

Also, saving pictures from an email, the Internet or MMS saves to camera roll, and the only way to get them back to the phone is to import them to the computer and then sync that folder.

13. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

That's too bad. Thanks for reply, though!:)

14. app4me macrumors newbie

Why doesn't Apple fix this??

This to me is the WORST thing about the iPhone. It is ridiculous that we cannot add photo albums or do any kind of organizing with pics we take. We should not have to get on an Apple computer to do it... it should be on this expensive computer we have in our hand. We bought a premium product and we are asking for it to do a simple thing which no APP seems to do because we do not want to have to get into an app then transfer photos over there.

When I upgraded version 4 of the phone I was hoping they would have made it so you could organize photos. I will be disappointed until this gets addressed by Apple.

15. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

First of all, you don't have yo get on an "Apple" computer to do it, any computer that runs iTunes will do it.
    The reason for this is that most people backup and organize their photos on a computer anyway, so why not just select the photos that you want on your phone, arrange them if the folders of your choice and sync. Simple process!! The iPhone was not designed to be a storage device, and most people don't want every photo that they ever took to be on the phone, takes up way to much space. What happens, if you lose your device, or if it has to be replaced? All photos would be lost.

16. app4me macrumors newbie

Something as simple as this should be included on the phone. Period. There should be no need for a computer of any kind to do something like organizing photos. Hopefully if we can make some noise about it some they will include it on the next update.

I do agree the phone needs to be backed up and synced.

17. app4me macrumors newbie

<quote>First of all, you don't have yo get on an "Apple" computer to do it, any computer that runs iTunes will do it.</quote> It's not nearly that simple. You have to sync it then go into the folders..once you find all that then try and make folders and hope that it works. It's not a clear cut process. We should be able to do all this with our fingers lol.

18. Lycanthroat macrumors regular

You could buy the PhotoAlbums+ tweak (it's like £1.50 on Cydia) and do it like that.

19. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

No you don't have sync it just to download the pics from your camera. And NO, you don't have to make any folders unless you want to (look at the available selections in iTunes), however, that would certainly make it easier to arrange photos on your computer and device.
    The iPhone camera is like any other digital camera, if you want to extract the pics off of it, then you are going to have to download them to "somewhere".

20. app4me macrumors newbie

Thanks Lycanthroat for that suggestion. I do not want to have to jailbreak my phone though. I shouldn't have to. This is something that should be on there lol.

@james- if we are talking about the same issue here which is creating folders and organizing photos on the iPhone then yes it is a much more complicated task than it should be having to download..blah.. sync to the computer and then figuring out how to do it all... seems like were spinning circles:(