How to assign keyboard shortcuts to symbols in Pages 09

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by airjuggernaut, Jan 2, 2010.

1. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

I've come across a conundrum.

I'm trying to do some math/biology study notes for school in pages, but I can't seem to figure out how to assign keyboard shortcuts to symbols.

I could easily do it MS Office 08, where I would assign such keystrokes as Alt + Right for the "⇒" symbol but in pages it's not that simple.

Right now, I essentially have to goto edit/special characters and insert each symbol in manually when I need it (Which is obviously time consuming for no reason)

Please help! I really WANT to like Pages 09 but right now it's frustrating me!

2. samh macrumors 6502

Could you use an autocorrect through preferences?

3. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

I could use this method, but it's really not as intuitive as I would like it to be.

I was hoping for something similar to Word, where I could use respective arrows and keys.

But thanks for the suggestion though!

4. vpostrel macrumors newbie

I have the same problem

In my case, I mostly need foreign-language characters and em- and en-dashes. This is so easy in Word, and was easy in WordPerfect before that. Does Pages really not have the option to assign key combinations to special characters? If not, what were they thinking? Is this like Steve Jobs's maniacal opposition to on-off switches?

5. TemieN macrumors newbie

There are already keyboard shortcuts. Use the option and shift-option keys to get to them.

6. psymeister macrumors newbie

TemieN - read before you post

That doesn't allow him to assign specific symbols to short cut keys, just gives the standard short cut keys.