how to automate the printing of a PDF saved to a folder

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by btravis311, May 2, 2008.

1. btravis311 macrumors newbie

I'm a Quickbooks for Mac user. One of the more tedious tasks is printing multiple invoices. We print two copies of every customer invoice; one copy for us and one for the customer. The printing process involves printing one copy to Tray 1 of a networked HP2300, then printing a second copy to Tray 2 of the same printer. What I'd REALLY like the script to handle would be the entire print job. I'd like to be able to save a PDF invoice from Quickbooks to a folder, and have the script print one copy of the PDF to each tray of the networked printer, THEN delete the PDF. Is this something that Automator can do? Or Applescript?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help! :D

2. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

An Automator script can definitely be triggered whenever a file is added to a certain folder.

The included help has a step-by-step for on how to set this up.

There's an Automator action for deleting a file, too, so that can be handled directly in Automator.

I'm not sure about the control over the printing you want. It may very well be there, I just don't know. But if not, you could have the Automator script run an Applescript that does it.

So, I'd check out Automator and see how far you can get with it before resorting to Applescript. If you do need Applescript to help with printer selection, here's a link that might help: http://joyofscripting.com/wp/?p=135

Edit: Oops, I see you are talking about different trays on the same printer. Well, the link should still point you in the right direction.