how to automatically have a type of email in which a certain file is attached, ready?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gandamoca, Jun 20, 2014.

1. gandamoca macrumors newbie

Hello,
    So i'm in the process of sending email after email with the same attachment on them. I figured out there must be a way to create a kind of template of email to be sent so that i don't have to always click on the "attach file" button and go after the specific file.
    do you understand me?
    How do i do this?:rolleyes:

2. gandamoca, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014

gandamoca thread starter macrumors newbie

how to automatically have a type of email in which a certain file is attached, ready?

Hello
    i'm wondering if it is possible to do something i would to do.
    as of now im sending various e-mails with the same attachment on them, over and over again, and i was wondering if it was possible to automatically have that attachment to be sent when creating an email.
    ...thanks in advance.

3. simsaladimbamba

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

And why does that attachment need to be in every mail? Is it some kind of signature? If so, go into Mail > Preferences > Signatures.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

4. gandamoca thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for answering.
    The attachment is my resume. I'm sending lots of e-mails with my resume attached, hence my question.

5. simsaladimbamba

If that resumé is a PDF file, you can always store the PDF on your desktop, have the Mail window not be full screen or cover the whole desktop and the New Message window also not cover the whole desktop and simply drag the PDF from the Desktop to the New Message window and be done with it.

6. gandamoca thread starter macrumors newbie

7. simsaladimbamba

You could also look at Automator and its many scripting possibilities. It is built in and may be able to do what you want.

8. gandamoca thread starter macrumors newbie

about automator

never have i used that app, and i don't know if im gonna trouble myself to learn how to use it. do you think i should? :)

9. snorkelman, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014

snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

making a custom signature as suggested earlier might be an option

[​IMG]

make a custom signature, call it Resume (note if you have multiple accounts in mail make sure its linked to the right one) Type whatever you want into the box, format the text choose color size etc.

Getting a pdf into the signature is a wee bit trickier but not much.. mails signature editor wont let you browse to attach a file like a pdf etc. Instead just bring up a Finder window and find the pdf you want to attach, in that Finder window right click on the pdf file and choose 'copy' from the right click pop up menu that appears.

Then go to mails signature editor place your cursor in the big edit signature box, right click and choose paste

Make sure you leave the 'Choose Signature' drop down set as None (otherwise your Resume will be attached to every email you send)

you should now have a signature called Resume, with your resume embeded in the sig as an attachment

[​IMG]

Any time you want to include your resume in an email just create a new email (or reply to one) When your in the message editor window click the signatures drop down list over to the right hand side of the window, chose Resume from the list and it'll insert it into your email

[​IMG]

If you wanted to you could probably type the entire body of the email into the signature along with the attachment. All you'ld be filling out in your new emails then would be the destination address and subject line..

10. simsaladimbamba

You could give it a try. If nothing comes from it and you can live with drag&drop, don't bother.

I myself have tried Automator several times and always did something wrong, even after reading some basic tutorials. I am probably not cut out for that. I can however click quite fast and do other stuff quite well. Hmm.

----------

Uih, that is so much easier. Thanks. I looked there, but did not try the drag&drop method to get the PDF in there. Simple. ****** Windows thinking still prevailing in my mind.

11. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

yeh only reason I know it is I got stuck trying to embed an image in a sig one time a long while back :)

one thing I omitted first time around is to leave choose signature in the signature editing screen set to None (otherwise the signature with Resume attached would be the default sig for every email being sent oops)

Apple could have made it easier just allowing folks to save a message as stationary with pdfs attached (sadly stationery can only be saved with images attached).

12. kryten2 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure there's something somewhere that can do this however you can do it yourself with Applescript. Open AppleScript Editor and paste the following into the window. Save the script in your /Users/yourshortname/Library/Scripts/ folder.

Code:
    (*
    This is an example! You need to change the alias to the right path to your file you want to attach. You can run choose file inside a new window and look at the result returned for your file.
    *)

set theAttachment to alias "MavericksDP:Users:kryten:FolderNames.txt"
    tell application "Mail"
    	set theMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {visible:true, subject:"My Subject", content:""}
    	tell content of theMessage
    		make new attachment with properties {file name:theAttachment} at after last paragraph
    	end tell
    end tell

Goto prefereces in AppleScript Editor and make sure Show Script menu in menu bar is checked. You should see a new icon in the menu bar and your script should be visible when you click the icon. In the example I've named the script New message with attachment template.

Attached Files: