How to back up of DVD movies

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mosey, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Mosey macrumors member

I'm looking for some DVD copy software to use to back up my movies. I not looking for something to allow me to steal any movies, I just want to back up the ones I have and make them more "watch-able". I buy movies so I can watch them, I don't buy them to copy and trade or sell them. But, the movie industry insists on making it difficult to just watch a movie. First, there's the previews. Then, there's the menu. Then, there's the warnings about the penalties for copying the movie. Then there's the intros. I didn't buy the movie to waste my time sitting through all the garb, I bought it to watch the movie! If they didn't want me to copy it, then they should have made it easier for me to watch it. I can't even fast forward or skip past all the garb, it puts up the little hand in the corner of the screen saying "no way!". At least with VHS I can fast forward to the movie.

So, for those who've made it past my ranting, what software is available that will allow me to copy DVD movies, including the ones that have the latest and toughest copy protection schemes?

I have an iMac with OS X (10.4.10).

2. krose0307 macrumors newbie

Personally I use handbrake to put dvds on my computer for my ipod. It's free and you can choose exactly what you want to pull off of the dvd. You can also choose the quality of the rip. It will even embed subtitles from foreign films right into the mp4. I've never had a problem with protected disks, but I've heard that Mac the Ripper is the best for getting around this, though I've never tried it.

As far as getting rid of intros I would use Mpeg Streamclip. You can edit out intros, credits, and whatever else you don't want. It's also great for converting to other formats.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I am the same way. Now with iTunes, it is so easy to watch a movie.

So what I am doing, is taking DVDs and ripping them to the HD using MacTheRipper (MTR). MTR gives you the choice of ripping the whole DVD or just the main feature.

Once I've done this, then I use Handbrake to convert the movie to what will work on the iPod, but also show good on a regular TV or computer screen. A regular movie will be about 1.2GB. Once done I import into iTunes.

I find it so convenient from within iTunes to just click on a movie to watch it. And if going on a trip, I can merely DL the movies to my iPod and take with me and show on the hotel TV or friend's TV.

4. Mosey thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info! So, it sounds like I need to get MacTheRipper and Handbrake. I don't have an iPod though, so once I have the movie on my HD, can I just use iDVD to burn it to a blank DVD so it will play on a DVD player?

5. giyad macrumors regular

Hey Sushi, I use Video Converter to convert my .avi or whatever files to .mp4, but it takes forever. Like, around 2 hours to convert, is handbrake quicker?

Thanks

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You will need a program like Toast to burn a playable DVD.

Please note, that most DVDs are burned to DVD9s. So if you want to fit them on a DVD5, which the blanks are much cheapter, you will need to shrink the video files files. A program like DVD2OneX works fine for this. There are other programs such as Popcorn.

So if you want to burn to a DVD5, the process would be:
    - Rip to HD using MTR
    - Shrink using DVD2OneX
    - Burn a playable DVD with Toast

I have not tried Video Converter.

I would say Handbrake will rip a typical movie using a double pass in under an hour.

7. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If you don't mind losing quality, you can use just Handbrake to convert it onto MP4 and then iDVD to burn it back to a DVD as a backup. Then you don't need MacTheRipper.

If you want an exact copy, then you need MacTheRipper and then something like Toast and burn it onto a dual-layer DVD, which is more expensive han regular single-layer ones.

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

No need to buy DVD2OneX or Popcorn if you already have Toast 8. It is capable of shrinking DVDs down to size as well.

9. TheZA macrumors regular

Go to forums at ripdifferent.com to get all the information you need about backing up DVDs and to download Mac The Ripper (MTR).

The freeware release of MTR works well if you follow it up with compression software, especially DVDtoOneX (AKA: DTOX). DTOX works especially well with MTR in that it will fix mastering errors made by MTR, and it now includes a burner. So MTR and DTOX are all you need. After the trial period you will have to pay for DTOX. Also, for a donation you can download the latest trial version of MTR. The trial version allows you to rip movie only from a DVD, which is often small enough that it will fit on a regular blank DVD. Then you can just image and burn. To image you can use freeware such as DVD Imager, then burn the image with either disk utility or other freeware such as Simply Burns. Initially after my trial period for DTOX ran out I was using the beta of MTR (R14), DVD imager, and Simply Burns to backup. I've recently purchased the full version of DTOX, as I have never gotten a bad burn using MTR R14 and DTOX. It works extremely well. The donation for MTR R14 is about $40, and DTOX is about $50 after Euro conversion. So you can do it all for about $90. Roxio Toast Titanium will do the compression and burn, but you will still need MTR. Toast Titanium is what, about $80? Or, you can do like I did for a long time and use all freeware, but I predict you will eventually be joanzing (yeah, I know, creative spelling) to be able to do what you once worth with the trial version of DTOX and MTR R14.

Go to the forums at ripdifferent.com for at length discussions of DVD back up.

10. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

Which setting do you use? I've been using iPod hi-res.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Does Handbrake work on protected DVDs?

MTR removes CSS encoding, and removes Macrovision. Not sure how well HB does these tasks.

True.

In my case I prefer DVD2oneX over Toast 8's built in shrinking. Aside form the quality, it is easy to preview the movie before burning it.

I use iPod Hi-Res, 2 pass encoding, Turbo first pass, at 1,500 bit rate. Seems to work well for me.

I only wanted to reduce my movies once so I could play them on iTunes, iPod and to a TV with the same file.

12. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Yes.

13. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Just a question that popped up while reading through this. I've been planning on having a networked drive to hold all of my movies. Will FrontRow be able to read this? I like having my music on my MacBook, but I really don't have room to load it up with movies. Maybe once I get a larger HDD, that will be fixed.

Also, what do y'all think of having MTR do it's thing, and stopping there? I remember seeing a program a while back that will play these, and this way, I won't need the DVD again if I decide to encode it for iPod or MacBook use.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

From the Handbrake web site:

"protection methods other than CSS are not supported and must be handled externally with third-party software)"

Hmmm... It looks like Handbrake does not do everything that MTR does.

15. Mosey thread starter macrumors member

I will go to the forums at ripdifferent.com and do some more reading. In the mean time, I did my first test run using MTR and it all seemed to go OK, but I can't play the movie back using DVD Player on my iMac. When I did the rip, I got "DISC RCE: -Detected-" so I set RCE Region to "RCE 1". For the New Region, I left it set to "ALL". I selected "Disable UOP's". I did a "Main Feature Extraction". It all seemed to go fine and took about 15 minutes. It created a "name_of_movie Main Feature" folder and under that a "VIDEO_TS" folder, and in that folder it created several files: "VIDEO_TS.BUP", "VIDEO_TS.IFO", "VTS_01_0.BUP", " VTS _01_0.IFO", " VTS _01_0.VOB", " VTS _01_1.VOB", " VTS _01_2.VOB", " VTS _01_3.VOB".

When I tried to play it back using DVD Player on my iMac, I selected the folder VIDEO_TS and clicked on "Choose", then "Play" and it didn't play anything, just a black screen. I clicked on "Stop" and then "Play" again and it came back with "DVD Player encountered an error it could not recover from. There was an error reading from disc, it might be scratched or dirty. [-36]

Can anyone help? Thanks!

16. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

You'll need to run in through HandBrake, or another similar program after using MTR. I'm not sure why, or all the technical stuff, but, I did the same thing, and that's what I figured out how to fix it.

17. ickystay macrumors regular

I would try without the "Disable DVD UOPs" checked. I know they suck, but I've had better luck just leaving them on my rips.

18. TemeculaMac macrumors regular

I'm planning to do the same with my kids DVDs, so we can take them on the road with us on my ipod. Quick question though...

Why can't you just use handbrake to convert it straight from DVD? I guess I'm confused why you would go through MTR, then handbrake. Is it strictly so you can cut the movie only and not the full DVD?

Many thanks!

19. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

It is so you can queue multiple DVDs up in Handbrake at a time without having to switch them when they finish. Good if you leave it crunching over night. It also uses the DVD drive less reducing wear and tear.

Oh and Mac the Ripper is better at dealing with copy protected DVDs than Handbrake.

20. TemeculaMac macrumors regular

Ahhh...okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

21. Mosey thread starter macrumors member

I ran it through HandBrake (I just left everything at the defaults) and it created a MP4 file. I was able to play it back using QuickTime and it came out good. However, it took HandBrake a long time, like 1 1/2 hours, is this normal? Can I go ahead and delete the "VIDEO_TS" folder now?

So, it appears I've done all I can do with the freeware utilities and now I need to get Toast to burn a DVD?

22. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

It may have been the settings that took it so long. I think on the movies I've done, it only takes about 20-30 minutes, but I could be wrong....and I don't have enough hard drive space to play with it :(.

And yes, you can delete that Video files that MTR made after you've Handbraked it.

23. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

I use Handbrake in most cases for ripping my DVDs to go on my pod. I have a MacPro with 5GB ram so I can rip a 2 hour movie in under 20 min. but when I used my old iMAC it would have taken at least 2 hours. If Handbrake can't rip the DVD I use my TVmax which is hooked to my VHS/DVD player. I can copy anything from there and edit. I also use TVmax to copy TV shows the same way I used to copy on to VHS. I also have Toast8 but you can not copy a commerical DVD with Toast, only something that has already been ripped or your own movies. I find MTR a bit of a pain but have used it.

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

So far, I've been happy with the results.

Cromulent makes some great points.

I would add:

- MTR makes it easy to just extract the main feature.

- Also, you can test your MTR rip before doing the conversion with Handbrake.

25. Mosey thread starter macrumors member

How do you do that?