Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nEO5592

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Hello friends,

Today i am thinking about upgrading my iphone 3Gs from iOs 4.1 to 5.1. Since my iphone is not factory unlocked I am afraid that upgrading it will country lock my iphone and I might not be able activate it again without spending few bucks. Thus i want to know is there some tool or utility that can backup current state of my iphone 3Gs (OS , bandwidth, jailbreak etc) so that if anything goes wrong i might be able to revert it back to this state again without needing to unlock it.
So knidly provide assistance.

Thanks
nEO

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Do you have shsh blobs saved for the firmware you want to update to?
If you don't know what that is or does I wouldn't advise you to go any further cause you might get stuck with a unusable phone. Bring it to someone who knows what they're doing with jb, custom firmware and baseband, bootrom and many other things that will come into play with your 3GS.

nEO5592

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
thanks Applejuiced for reply

I will learn about it (SSH, firware etc) first before trying anything. Is there some good starting materials for beginners that you might be aware of?

Thanks
nEO

nEO5592

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Thanks Applejuiced for reply.

Studied the section you refereed and with the help of bit google. Finally understood required terms, created backup of my SSH blobs and in the end updated my iOS to 6.1.3 and did unlocked it too :D

"All I do is what he tells me to do. If I had to choose between that and the Matrix, I'd choose the Matrix."

Thanks
nEO

nokski™

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2014
hello., my iphone 3gs also have the same problem. I try to restore it using iTunes but at the middle of restoration, then pops up an error message. Please help me and share your knowledge. THANKS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.