How to best connect external monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by betman, Mar 21, 2013.

1. betman macrumors regular

I'm switching from a 17" MBP to the new 15" rMBP and am wondering what the best connection option is for my external monitor.

Should I...

1. Use the old mini-Displayport connector which I believe is the same as Thunderbolt? What I have is actually an adapter that goes from mini-DP to DVI and this is what I have been using with my 17" MBP.

2. Switch to HDMI? My monitor has this input plus I have a spare cable as well.

Any pluses/minuses to choosing one method over another in terms of system resources/what's more efficient for the laptop?

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Using HDMI means less clutter on the desk with cables.I would go that route because of space and becase it is newer rather than having MDP to DVI (it will work, I just like and feel safer with new technology).

More efficient is probably HDMI since it is plugged right in to the computer rather than relying on an adapter.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The only downside with HDMI it is may not support max resolution of your monitor. If you search the forums you will see others having this issue.

4. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Neither connector will not have any effect on system resources or efficiency of anything, whatsoever.

You don't mention what the resolution of the monitor is. If it's 1920x1200, or under both connectors are ok. If it's higher than that, it requires a Dual Link DVI connection, so the HDMI connector will only work with a reduced resolution.

I would go (and actually did) with the MiniDP-DVI adapter. It will work on the rMBP without a problem.

HDMI should work just fine in most cases, but there's a catch: There are issues with some displays on the rMBP's HDMI-port, that the image is fuzzy although a correct resolution is selected. This does not occur with all displays, but did on my HP LP2475w (24" 1920x1200), while an LG TV with the same resolution worked perfeclty on it. I don't know if this is corrected with the 10.8.3 update, but it appeared to be a driver issue, as it only occurred in OS X but not in Windows. There's a thread about the problem on this forum.

So the adapter you already have is the safest bet.

5. betman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. I forgot to add that the external monitor is a simple 1920x1080 screen. Running just a HDMI cable seems easiest but if there are to be any issues with screen clarity then I might as well just use my 'tried & tested' mini-DP>DVI cable for the time being. :)

6. theluggage macrumors 68030

I've had the same problem with my 2011 MBP and HP LP2475w when connected via a MiniDisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cable.

Some unsung hero has produced a fix for this here. The thread talks about Dell monitors, but a few posts down there's a script that will generate the required override file for any monitor. Works fine with my HP LP2475w via. displayPort.

7. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Wow, I had not noticed that one! Thanks :)

8. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

i use both HDMI, and mini display -> DUal-link dvi.. everything works great .. though HDMI, if you touch it slightly it will flicker your monitor.. where as mini display can handle some moving around and such without any problems.

9. anarti macrumors regular

I used HDMI to DVI and it was fine, but then I couldn't use it for 27" monitor.

Bought Thunderbolt to Display Port and it's working great, plus TB socket is small compared to HDMI or TB to DVI adapter so less clutter on my desk :)

10. betman thread starter macrumors regular

My monitor only has HDMI and DVI so the old mini-DP (today's Thunderbolt) adapter is turning out to be handy here.

When using iTunes to feed a picture to a normal Full-HD TVwould it be better to use the HDMI interface or run the sydnal through something like Apple TV?