How to best set up a used phone purchased from a friend?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Nam Pla, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Nam Pla macrumors member

As I'm somewhat new to this sort of thing, and I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions to do this the correct way. I'm buying a used iPhone 4s 32 GB from a friend to replace my own 4s 64 GB which recently went kablooey on me.

Should I just reset and restore the phone on iTunes as new, then just sync my apps, contacts, music, etc thru iTunes? Or should I restore it from a backup of my old phone (which was a 64 GB)?

His phone is unlocked for GSM use here in Thailand, but originally purchased in Germany (German language and all that), my old 4s was purchased in the US (Eng. language). Will that make any difference if I restore from a back-up, or will I be able to choose my language like if I set it up as new?

Also, is there anything he would need to do with the phone first (i.e. de-authorize it in iTunes or anything like that) before I'd be able to set it up and sync it as my own with my own apps and info?

Thanks for any help or tips, especially if I may have overlooked something else! :)

2. Prawnstar69 macrumors regular

if the iphone is factory unlocked u can restore it thru itunes or u can choose a backup. You dont have to deauthorize it in itunes or anything simply sign out his account and sign in with yours.

if i bought a used iphone (unlocked) i would restore and then use a backup, that way his apps will be deleted and u dont need to sign out itunes

3. Nam Pla thread starter macrumors member

My friend gave me the phone today to test out. But it's still got all his info on there for now. He says before I buy it (if I buy it) he'll reset everything in the settings menu before giving it to me.

Is this the best way for me to receive it? With the phone re-set from the phone's settings menu? Or should I take it with all his stuff on it already and restore as new through iTunes then start from scratch with syncing my own apps and contact info from my Mac? Or does it make any difference??

I'm a bit gun-shy about this because I had numerous problems with my own 4s 64 GB phone that this one will be replacing. My problems were phone-related, mostly 'call failed' and no or low signal issues. He says he's had no problems with the phone part of it, and in the brief time I've had it in my hands, it seems to be better than my old 64 GB was.

But there is a noticeable difference in the carrier signal strength on this phone (his 32 GB 4s) compared to my ancient 3G with the exact same SIM card installed. I've been using the old 3G until I'm able to work out another phone solution. With the 3G I had a constant full signal from the cell carrier. With his 4s, I'm getting 3 to 4 bars, with the exact same SIM. I've made a couple of successful calls and texts with it so far, but I'll know better later after testing it out for another day or two.

4. Prawnstar69 macrumors regular

i would restore it with itunes, it removes everything makes it like a new phone