How To Build an Autocracy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Jan 31, 2017.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

David Frum, speechwriter for former. President George W. Bush, published an alarming, and insightful, article in The Atlantic:

Emphasis Mine.

It's a longish (~20 minute) read. But well worth it for the detailed examination of the risks - at one time considered unthinkable - to the United States as an effective multi-party democracy. Frum cites a number of examples, in recent history, of nations that appeared to have free, and open electoral systems that very rapidly transitioned to functional Dictatorships and Kleptocracies that brought their leaders - and favored insiders - huge wealth.

Reasonable people may question some of Frum's assessments. I, for one, doubt that the economic benefits of Trump's combination of corporate tax cuts; trade wars; and boondoggle spending will be as tangible to white workers with high-school diplomas as he believes.

But the hazards to the existence of a free, independent, and truthful press are very real. So is the accordance - if not outright complicity - of a Republican Congress to Presidential over-reach in our hyper-partisan age.

2. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Frum was also interviewed on NPR this morning and the article you referenced was discussed. I don't agree with everything Frum said but it was an interesting and thoughtful interview nonetheless.

3. Populism, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

I agree with the OP quote.

Hence my signature.

Liberals/Democrats/Progressives simply knew their guy/gal would always be in the White House. The science was settled!

Not for a second did they consider the idea that the President should be neutered here and there; they were too busy shouting "RACISM!" at anyone against an Obama policy. They were too busy with Federal anti-cisgender urinal executive orders to consider that a "do nothing Congress" is exactly what the country wants and needs time to time.

Try to enjoy the bed you made. It's not very snuggly.

4. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I’m hoping at worst Trump’s isolationism just proves that we aren’t as important to the rest of the world as we smugly assume and dropping bombs everywhere isn’t the big turn on it used to be.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

spot on.

6. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Read the article, OK? Because I don't think you did.

My concern, and that of a great many people on all parts of the political spectrum, is not so much with Trump's politics (which are not particularly conservative) - but with his character.

I might disagree with Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio or Jeb Bush on matters like corporate taxes, abortion, health care, and gun control. But whatever they did along those grounds, the United States would certainly survive as effective democratic state. Say what you will about Hillary Clinton or the Bush family, but I don't see them opening up a for-profit hotel a couple of blocks from the White House.

And please don't start with us on the canard that Barack Obama is the reason we now have an unstable, ignorant, kleptomatic narcissist in the White House. The Presidency has always been a powerful office. It's just that in the long history of the Republic, we've never had someone like Trump sitting behind the desk.

Read the article.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

...Isowhatnow?

We just botched a bombing in Yemen (a country we aren't officially at war with) and killed a bunch of civilians (yet again).

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

lmfao, deep down inside you KNOW that is TRUE. BEFORE Oclueless the POTUS had to ask congress to declare war, Bush needed congress to wage war, Obama? meh, he got to bomb as he pleased and sign EO's as he pleased as well. you spend 8 years not only looking the other way but practicing mental gymnastics to justify his actions & act outraged when the next guy gets to do what Obama did, reap what you sow.

9. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

How do I know that it's true that Trump is an ignorant, unstable, thin-skinned narcissist?

His entire life story. His every appearance in front of a crowd. His every Tweet. His every bankruptcy and stiffing of a contractor. His every divorce. His every (and there are a lot of them) lie.

The US never declared war on Vietnam. They never declared war on North Korea. Or Panama. Or Iraq. So don't tell me that Obama's use of the "War on Terrorism" authorization was something he just foisted on the American people.

Read the article.

10. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

As a recent Democratic party refugee, those who remain loyal need to seriously take this opportunity to look at the economic destruction brought on by the policies of the Obama and Clinton administrations, passing Republican agenda legislation and actions that not even Republicans could dream of passing simply because of the (R) in front of their name with a bonus twist that those failed policies now get to be ridiculed by those who wish they passed them themselves, and completely abandoning the poor and working class in favor of the educated class who think they know everything because they are, well, educated.

Ignoring those facts is understandable when the party is in control. Guilty as charged myself. Still ignoring them after the party got definitively beat into the dirt is inexcusable. WAKE UP! The fact they couldn't stop Trump's clear from day one lunacy says a lot.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

thank you.

12. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

and an US soldier died in the attack.

Didn't Trump criticise Obama for drone bombing in Syria and Iraq and then said "why don't we bomb the hell out of ISIS? I would do! I would do! For sure! For Sure" and now that attack in Jemen. He is a walking contradiction with every step or word he takes or says.