How to burn backup copies of videocam footage?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mangomegan, Aug 23, 2010.

1. mangomegan macrumors newbie

I have a camcorder that uses a SD card, and I have imported the footage to iMovie ('08). Is there an easier/quicker way to burn copies of the footage to DVD so I can clear the SD card?

If I do need to use iMovie, how do I move the footage into the "projects" from the "events" without having to drag and drop each segment one-by-one? It will take forever--I'm sure there must be a better way!

Thanks for patience with a newbie. :eek:

2. -DH macrumors 65816

The simple way would be to copy the contents of the SD card to a folder on your hard drive.

-DH

3. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Like DH said. I have a Canon with an SD slot and a hard drive. I either record directly to the SD or use that as a shuttle to copy files off the HD. Then I mount the SD on my MBP with an adaptor in a USB slot and then copy those files to a backup HD. I use a Guardian Maximus, it has two HDs hooked up as a mirror so that there are two copies of everything. If one HD fails I hopefully have a chance to replace it before the other one fails.

To use this footage I go into iMovie and tell it to import.

File/Import/Camera Archive

4. mangomegan thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks so much. If i copy the files to my HD, how can I burn a copy on DVD? My HD does not have too much free space. I will definitely copy the files to an external HD (which has much more free space) but still would like a few backup copies on DVD. Can you tell I'm used to having hard copies of video footage (like my old DV tapes?) :rolleyes:

I tried sticking the SD card into my card reader (via printer) but it was not recognized. Is there something special I need to know/do in order to have the card read by my mac? Is it perhaps that the card is a SDHC and maybe the reader is too old for that format?