How to buy a gun in 15 countries - article

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RedKite, Mar 3, 2018.

1. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

2. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

So US is basically at the same level as Yemen. Japan is the role model here.

3. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Interesting.

The UK bit isn't completely accurate AFAIK. Just for the record - we effectively have two classes of firearms. Section 1 -Rifled barrels (centre fire and rimfire) and Section 2, smooth barrelled over 24" (shotguns). Basically, in broad terms you have to prove a use for section 1 (hunting, sport etc) and police can refuse if they disagree with your use, however for Section 2 you pretty much have a right to acquire a licence (and a shotgun) as long as you don't have a criminal record or have a record of depression etc revealed in a doctors background check and you allow the police to inspect the storage arrangements. (Locked steel gun cabinet bolted to a structural wall). You don't have to join a club and the character ref (always a bone of contention as it belonged to the 60s age of deference to the professional (middle) classes such as doctors, MPs, accountants and bank managers etc) bit is now a doctors background check which I think is much more sensible.

4. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

So why does it seem every country has an actual medical check but we can't be bothered to do so

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, the US is special. It's in the Constitution. Which, much like the Bible is picked-and-choosed from. 2nd - Sacrosanct. 1st? meh. 4th-8th? Not important. 15th? Not so much. The Constitution in the US can and has been changed many a time (there's a count). Perhaps it should again. To the article, I kinda like Canada's approach best...

6. juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

Because people who would need a medical check spend a lot of money on guns.

7. jeremy h macrumors 6502

One of things I noticed from that article was in some European countries are cited as allowing a gun licence specifically for personal defence. That surprised me and I wonder if that's inaccurate too but I don't know their laws well enough to say. (My brief conversations with Germans about gun laws there etc don't seem to support it - the attitude feels similar to what we have here.)

As you suggest the right to carry and bear arms specifically to use against fellow citizens (if you perceive them to be wrong doing or you feel or are threatened by them ) is the fundamental issue that at the moment looks unsolvable.

8. RedKite thread starter macrumors regular

RedKite

Damn straight. Gotta wonder though if “drug abuse” includes alcohol because I bet that would prevent many licenses!