How to buy a verizon iphone full price to use in a mvno

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b1scu1t, Jul 14, 2015.

1. b1scu1t macrumors regular

Hello,

I am contemplating moving from ATT to a Verizon MVNO. Unfortunately I just can't find a way to buy a Verizon iphone outright which I can use a pageplus simcard in. I am not too comfortable with the ebay/craigslist route as I have been burnt with stolen/blacklisted phones in the past.

Any thoughts? The apple store web site doesn't give me an option. I am planning to go this weeken dto the store to talk to somebody in person. But if anybody has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,
    b1scu1t

2. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

Go to Apple Store. Ask for Verizon iPhone in color and size of your choice. Pay full price. Walk out.
    Been there, done that.

3. Chatter macrumors 6502a

4. b1scu1t thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I should have checked in the store in person before posting my query here.

Sorry.

5. msp3 macrumors member

You do realize if you're using an iPhone 6, the ATT/VZW/T-Mobile versions are all the same right?

The Sprint/Apple unlocked model is the other superior option.

6. b1scu1t thread starter macrumors regular

The verizon model has the cdma module. I am thinking of porting over my # to pageplus which is a Verizon MVNO hence the need for the Verizon specific model rather than anything else.

7. chrfr macrumors 603

There's no difference in hardware in the iPhone 5S and later. You can use the sim-free version of the iPhone 6/6+ on Verizon without issue.
    You could also walk into a store to buy a full price Verizon phone if you wanted, but there's no good reason to do that instead of buying the SIM-Free model.

8. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

I was going to say something even shorter like, "With money."

Sorry, OP. Our humor at your expense (no pun intended.)

9. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Regarding A1549/A1522 models, hardware is the same. Only problem is whitelisting. One other issue if you plan on actually using it with Verizon and not just an MVNO, you can't get the $25 no-contract discount on non-Verizon phones. I inserted my Verizon SIM on a T-Mobile iPhone 6 and it removed my discount the next billing cycle. Had to put back the Verizon SIM card in my Verizon iPhone 5s so the Verizon CSR could reinstate the discount.

The Factory Unlocked, SIM-free A1586/A1524 version is the superior model because that works (hardware-wise) and is whitelisted on all carriers.

The Sprint A1586/A1524 version, while unlockable, may still not be whitelisted for Verizon requiring you to jump through hoops in order to activate a new SIM card/service.

10. b1scu1t thread starter macrumors regular

Will the A1586/A1524 work with CDMA when it has to make voice calls? My plan is to not go with Verizon directly, but a Verizon MVNO. My concern is not data, but the voice aspect of it. My plan is to drop ATT and go with a Verizon MVNO to use their hopefully better network.

11. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

All the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have CDMA working. The only issue with Verizon is the whitelisting so better to get a whitelisted device (Verizon or SIM-free) than not.

Actually, the AT&T, T-Mobile and SIM-free iPhone 5s and 5c do not have the CDMA module enabled. If you check General > About, there's no MEID reported for the GSM iPhone 5s and 5c. Meanwhile, all iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have MEID. That said, yes, SIM-free is better. You can even order the SIM-free version online without service if you're feeling too lazy to drive to the nearest Apple Store.

12. b1scu1t thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome, thank you so much for the clarification. Now it just comes to whether I am better of giving up my ATT unlimited data which I barely use 2-3 gig/month for a verizon mvno.

13. solodogg macrumors 6502

Why not Straight Talk? You can do the BYOP plan for CDMA, use your AT&T phone, and get 5GB of LTE data plus unlimited talk & text for $45/mo. Your carrier will even show Verizon in the status bar when using the CDMA nano sim.

http://www.straighttalkbyop.com Just select "Verizon compatible phone" when signing up.

14. b1scu1t thread starter macrumors regular

I never did consider StraightTalk, as I really wasn't sure who they were an mvno of? I am with ATT now and the need to switch to Verizon is due to the supposedly better network/coverage etc. I don't want to go to a T-mobile/sprint mvno.

15. msp3 macrumors member

StraightTalk is a MVNO of ATT, VZW, Sprint, and T-Mobile. It's just like Tracfone, minus the Mexican tycoon stealing from American taxdollars through endless Obamaphone subsidies part.

16. b1scu1t thread starter macrumors regular

what does mvno of all the 4 carriers really mean? Depending on the signal strength it will switch across carriers? What does President Obama have to do with this?

All the tycoons steel if you are going to get started on a political discussion. They did not become a tycoon by being a nice guy ;-)

17. solodogg macrumors 6502

They are an MVNO for each of the carriers, not all 4 at the same time. You have your choice of carrier basically when you sign up for service. There are SIM cards for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon (not sure if they do Sprint or not). If you sign up with AT&T or T-Mobile service, your iPhone will display TFW as the carrier, and you will only know which one you signed up for by the coverage and the sim card style. If you get a CDMA Straight Talk SIM and service, your phone will show Verizon as the carrier name, telling you what service you have.

If you are doing a single line, prepaid is always going to work out to be a better deal, unless you need roaming coverage (which most don't with Verizon).