How to Buy Unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 at Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doxielover, Sep 23, 2012.

1. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

Hi what exactly are the steps to buying a non-contract full price phone (device only) in the Apple store? When I went there the guys said I had to buy a contract or no phone. Someone mentioned when they ask for a phone number tell them device only. The guy said I had to give him a phone number. Please help!!!!!

2. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

I believe in order to get an AT&T iPhone 5 even off contract at full price you still need to be a current AT&T customer.

what you can do is set up a contract for the iPhone 5 and get it for the subsidized price and then cancel the contract and pay the early termination fee, it will come out to the same amount as buying it unsubsidized, or maybe even a bit less.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Not at an Apple Store (but yes at an AT&T store). At an Apple Store, just tell them you want to buy the device outright ("device only") and pay the full price ($649/$749/$849). There is a separate screen on the checkout app. You'll need to sign some AT&T legalese on one of the screens but you won't need to give any account information and they ask for a phone number or account number. It doesn't bind you to sign up for AT&T and they won't even ask. The phone will be completely unlocked at that point.

I did this yesterday and it took about 5 minutes to wrap everything up.

----------

This shouldn't be the case. Yesterday at Grand Central I just told the person I wanted to buy the phone outright and she rung it through "Device Only." So did the person behind me. Granted, the NYC stores are more used to this. They might give you some official line about how the phone could be locked, but as long as you don't give them a wireless number it won't be locked.