Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcrtorres007

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2020
Probably because you're using two sims. One eSim and a regular one. Currently there is a limitation to LTE instead of 5G in that case. Apple wants to update that later. See separate thread in the forums.

Another reason for that. If you are not on dual SIM card, it means you probably have SIM card that supports LTE/4G looks like orange card. What you need is white SIM card that supports 5G at AT&T store. It did happen to me before.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I saw a friend today who picked up the iPhone 12 Pro which was running on AT&T 5G which has 1 bar reception and could not load a website page today. He said that the 5G reception on his new iPhone has pretty much been horrible. I told him to switch to just using 4G LTE instead.

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
The question I have is does 5G only burn battery life when actively using it? So if 5G is "On" but I am at my house on Wifi battery life won't be impacted?

This question originates from the fact that your phone can be sitting locked on standby mode but if you're in a low cell service area and the phone is constantly searching for service the battery life is impacted dramatically.
At least for me, this seems to be the case. I have 5G on and im on wifi and my battery life is just fine. Actually its better than it was for my 11PRO

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
So you see in the upper left corner it say "5G" and then "4G"? What is confusing to me is that if it says "5G" it can mean you have 5G available but you aren't necessarily connected to 5G.
I don't know.. but since iPad has much bigger screen than an iPhone obviously the iPad will use more data usage since it loads 250% more details and more reference than an iPhone (which tooks you forever to scroll even on the biggest iPhone 12 Pro Max) in just shorter phase.. You'll browse more faster than on iPad. And add to that, iPads has much better resolution so if it plays video then the difference in data usage will be even bigger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.