Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

How to Change App Icons on iOS 14 Home Screen

slide_to_unlock

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2018
US
I am all for customization with Widgets and what not but NOT THIS. The sole purpose of "Shortcuts" app is to customize apps to add multiple steps not this. I really hope Apple disable this feature entirely. Use Shortcut as a shortcut. Changing the app icon really defeats the purpose of iOS. Developers and Apple work really hard to design those icons, not to mention you won't get Notification Badge either. Sorry but this isn't the way.

I have seen one guy who set all his home screen icon to look like iOS 6. Like why?

Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
The implementation is terrible.
Sacrificing notification badges for tacky icons and delayed app launch.
Apple needs a proper theming engine if this is to continue.
This "workaround", because that's exactly what it is, is terrible.
Because it’s a hack, not something Apple is supporting. Right now it’s some new thing making its way around social media. In a week it will be forgotten about.

Comment

tha_man

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2016
I am all for customization with Widgets and what not but NOT THIS. The sole purpose of "Shortcuts" app is to customize apps to add multiple steps not this. I really hope Apple disable this feature entirely. Use Shortcut as a shortcut. Changing the app icon really defeats the purpose of iOS. Developers and Apple work really hard to design those icons, not to mention you won't get Notification Badge either. Sorry but this isn't the way.

I have seen one guy who set all his home screen icon to look like iOS 6. Like why?

Why not make it look like iOS 6? Or Android. Or blackberry. Or Amiga Workbench. It’s fun.

I find it inovative and interesting use of Shortcuts. It might not be the most elegant solution changing the icons that way, but that guy proved it can be done. I think that’s pretty cool and would be very not cool to just disable this for no reason.

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Where’s the “Show off your Home Screen” threads?? I want to see what people are up to!

Comment

furou

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2019
This is awful, I hope Apple disables this workaround.

On the other hand Steve Jobs will be rolling so fast in his grave Apple can commit to 100% renewable energy way before 2030.

• Disagree
Reactions: Okasian and JGIGS
Comment

PewPewK

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020
Imagine having your head shoved so far up Apple's ass that you think removing existing features just because less than 1% of users use the feature in a way you feel ruins Apple's meticulously crafted branding...

Users having choice is a good thing. Even if people make things not to your taste doesn't mean they should not be able to do so.

Comment

sjsharksfan12

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Totally agree! don't understand why people waste so many time on their phone! It is a communication tool, you can put 16 apps on the homepage, are you so eager to put even more on it?? I am traditional and use mostly no more than 5-7 apps routinely. And I don't need any fancy screen to .... impress myself ?? LOL

To be fair the phone is also what Ipod used to be, at least that's how I use it. Give me people to call/text, and let me listen to music and podcasts and I'm happy. Also, I started reading how to do the customization, but wouldn't it be easier to just hold the app, have a option to choose customizable icons and have the menu come up like the Memoji menu? Things don't need to be complicated.

Comment

iGeneo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
This insanity needs to stop.. Apple is all about a consistent user experience. (They themselves are not always prefect) Stupid fonts, icons scattered about and other assorted nonsense is why you buy Android. Don't like that Apple locks it down?

You DO have options, head over and buy a Google or Samsung phone.

Comment

sjsharksfan12

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
This insanity needs to stop.. Apple is all about a consistent user experience. (They themselves are not always prefect) Stupid fonts, icons scattered about and other assorted nonsense is why you buy Android. Don't like that Apple locks it down?

You DO have options, head over and buy a Google or Samsung phone.

If the Apple Watch was customizable with Android, I could think about it. I did have a Google Pixel and the reason why I came back to apple was because I did not like Android Auto at the time. Now that it looks like Android Auto has greatly improved, that's not a barrier to me anymore. However, because I have the Apple Watch it's hard to leave apple now.

Comment

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
Anybody got a handy set of iOS 6 icons, from back before Apple decided "suck" was a good theme?

iOS 6 was good at the time, now it would look terrible next to other modern icons on 3rd party apps. The design language back in the day had its uses, but now serves exactly zero purpose.

Comment

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
Maybe I don't want to eat hamburgers everyday maybe I want the option the have something else. By your logic... you shouldn't be able to change your ringtone, background, or app arrangement, emoji race, etc oh and iOS 14 should have never happened either. Looks like Android. No, it's just more OPTIONS for users.

This analogy confuses me. If I don’t want burgers I don’t go to a burger joint.The bigger the menu the worse the food because they don’t make anything particularly well. My parents always take me to these places where you get one piece of paper with the days options. You may not be in the mood for catfish but that’s what you are eating and enjoy it because you will never get catfish that good until they offer it again.

Comment

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Sorry but this just looks awful. Apple shouldn’t allow it. Looks cheap and android.

So you think Apple should dictate to people what their phones look like? Gee, why even allow wallpaper changes then? Or your own photos as watchfaces?

Welcome to 1984 where the all knowing corporation will decide what is best for you. 🙄

No thanks!

Reactions: tha_man
Comment

iGeneo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
If the Apple Watch was customizable with Android, I could think about it. I did have a Google Pixel and the reason why I came back to apple was because I did not like Android Auto at the time. Now that it looks like Android Auto has greatly improved, that's not a barrier to me anymore. However, because I have the Apple Watch it's hard to leave apple now.
Well, you made an informed decision to get the Apple Watch. Life is all about trade offs, Apple wants the best possible user experience, not some Wild West of UI and apps.

Comment

wylhkg

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2013
Hei Guy old new, change icon is working of Shortcut Apps launch in iOS 12. You can see the youtube link for same issue.

Comment

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
It needs to open the Shortcut app to launch the app with the new icon so you will see the Shortcut app momentarily.

Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
So you think Apple should dictate to people what their phones look like? Gee, why even allow wallpaper changes then? Or your own photos as watchfaces?

Welcome to 1984 where the all knowing corporation will decide what is best for you.

No thanks!

I think he is saying that Apple is offering a curated user experience, and this is something its user base expressly wants, as evidenced by their willingness to pay a premium for what Apple offers over the competition.

So why should Apple not have the liberty of being able to dictate to users how their devices ought to look and work, if this is something they want?

Comment

Baldilocks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2012
Delaware, USA
Looks nice, but doesn't do much for productivity. Not a fan of the shortcut method. I doubt Apple will ever open up iOS enough where you can change the actual app icons.

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Issue i have is there are far too many workout around to get the homescreen like you want it like having to download shortcuts to get stuff look how you want

It’s been a good start for apple but not really what i had hoped widget wise.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.