Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

How to Change App Icons on iOS 14 Home Screen

zenntench_oni

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2005
I use shortcuts for automations for personal commands with HomeKit or for my Apple TV. I would’ve just stick to 13.5 jailbreak for snowboard if I wanted to theme my icons.

Comment

smhh

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2012
This really is a terrible workaround for what could be simple - iOS native ability to change app icons and icon packs in the app store.

Including a native support for that is a terrible terrible idea.
The idea behind everything that Apple makes is simplicity. Allowing users to implement changes like that would result in a negative affect on overall user experience. Simplicity and a coherent experience across platform is why people choose Apple, they will never mess that up.

Comment

Baldilocks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2012
Delaware, USA
The idea behind everything that Apple makes is simplicity. Allowing users to implement changes like that would result in a negative affect on overall user experience. Simplicity and a coherent experience across platform is why people choose Apple, they will never mess that up.

That went out the window with the App Library.....

Comment

MauiPa

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2018
This really is a terrible workaround for what could be simple - iOS native ability to change app icons and icon packs in the app store.
true, but why?
[automerge]1600812304[/automerge]
Do shortcuts always bandaid the app after it's been pushed to your device? Does that mean that deleting the app saves the icon as well when reinstalled?
bandaid?

Comment

MauiPa

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2018
Yes, it should also not allow to put the iPhones into cheap case, other than the Apple one. And while we're at it, government shouldn't allow us to dress into cheap clothing from H&M and only allow us to drive black premium limos from now on...

I think it's great to be able to customise the look of your device. Some people are more than just simple users, they are enthusiast and enjoy doing stuff like this. If you want the default look on your device, nothing is stopping you to not change absolutely anything.
No offense, but "enthusiast" to change an icon?

Comment

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
I think he is saying that Apple is offering a curated user experience, and this is something its user base expressly wants, as evidenced by their willingness to pay a premium for what Apple offers over the competition.

So why should Apple not have the liberty of being able to dictate to users how their devices ought to look and work, if this is something they want?

No, what they said was Apple shouldn’t allow it. In other words, people shouldn’t have the option to personalize their phone. Why not? We personalize everything in life from our hair style, to our clothes, to the color of house and decor inside. I don’t need a company dictating what my phone looks like and have them all look like clones of one another. Nope. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If people want to make their own phones look what others might consider ugly, who cares? No one else has to look at it. Same as the wallpaper people have changed for years.

Reactions: Tagbert
Comment

tha_man

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2016
No offense, but "enthusiast" to change an icon?

Well yes. With "enthusiast" I mean somebody that likes to tweak his device, change the look, optimise it, find interesting ways to use it etc. and enjoy doing this. And then there is "normal" user, who usually only cares that device works for it's intended purpose and don't want (or like) to tinker with it beyond what's absolutely necessary.

Personally I think it's great if device is customisable and fun to use by itself, as long as this doesn't gets in the way when using it for it's intended purpose.

Reactions: Tagbert
Comment

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany

that went out of the window a long time ago. Have you noticed how basically every new setting in the settings app requires Apple to add a description now? Compare old stuff that has always been there to all new toggles and what not. So much text explaining what it even does.

i am sure people could live with „press and hold, select image from library to change app icon“ if people can understand all the „hidden“ gestures on iPad

for example:

Attachments

• 80779969-D4A9-4280-95D9-987DC48373FC.jpeg
    80779969-D4A9-4280-95D9-987DC48373FC.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 65
Comment

DrNevs

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2017
Am I doing something wrong here? I don’t see no drop down menu when touching the icon to change it. It just brings me to a page to choose a symbol and colour. Been trying force touch and hold with no luck

Comment

Tagbert

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
It appears that users have really embraced customizing their home screens. Making that more streamlined seems like it would be a good change for Apple to make in the next iOS version.

Comment

nickdalzell1

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2019
Well, if I ever update to iOS 14 or iPad OS 14, This would at least be a means to restore the classic iOS 6 icon look I've missed ever since the iOS 7 icons have been standard...for over 7 years now...:mad:

Comment

itsmeaustend

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2016
It needs to open the Shortcut app to launch the app with the new icon so you will see the Shortcut app momentarily.

You can turn off the need to open the shortcuts app first, creating a direct route instead.

Comment

Baldilocks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2012
Delaware, USA
There is a difference between removing and having a toggle to disable.

Auto brightness and True Tone aren’t hurting anyone either but I’m sure glad I can turn them both off.

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There is a difference between removing and having a toggle to disable.

Auto brightness and True Tone aren’t hurting anyone either but I’m sure glad I can turn them both off.
Not really the same sort of thing given that one is a particular location that needs to be specifically reached to be accessed and doesn't affect anything else, while the other is something that would be present across the board and affect how things are seen overall. Options are nice to have, but there's still a difference when it comes to different things.

Ultimately, as has been brought up a number of times before, it really doesn't matter if anyone actually agrees or disagrees as it's really up to Apple to do something like that or not.

Reactions: D.T.
Comment

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G4
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s funny as people have been bickering for years about lag yet this method introduces an incredibly laggy process for opening an app and people love it.

I’ve tried this and yes you can change an icon, but it’s rather slow in use.

Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I am surprised (well not really) that so many are spending hours and hours building a new door to place in front of the door to their house that was already there, so that they can say “look how cool this new door I built looks, it works great. It only took me 5 - 7 hours to build. All I have to do is open this new door that is blocking the original door so that I can get inside my house (open the app I want).”

I am glad Apple loosened the OS reins so that some here can indulge. I will stop and look from the street.

Comment

nickdalzell1

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2019
I don't understand the complaints. At least now we can bring back the familiar iOS 6 icons without jailbreaks.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN
Comment

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
Having custom icons while losing notification badges and having to wait longer for the app to open seems dumb to me. Have fun customizing your screens if that’s what you like to do though.

Agreed. I saw this initially and thought it was cool. Then I tried the process myself and was like, yeah no. PITA! Who wants to go through shortcuts with every single app?

Comment

miq

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2020
This is Apple we're talking about, remember...

Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
This is actually a clever way to get people to start using the shortcuts app more. Maybe it will lead them to experiment with automation?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.