How to change color of some word in a text?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Kaisser, May 15, 2012.

1. Kaisser macrumors newbie

Hello all.

I have a problem.
    I need to change the color of a word in a text. One word of a text in a color and the whole text, excep the word, in another color.

is it possible?

Thanks!

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Not with any of the standard text UI elements on the iPhone.

Personally, I use UIWebViews to get rich formatted text in iOS apps. Just have them load a local html file.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Perhaps. But there is the NSAttributedString class that can be leveraged. Using it is rather tricky (just read through the Class Reference), so I suggest using a third-party library class to make things easier. I've used TTTAttributedLabel by Matt Thompson.

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Ah. I've always been reluctant to use third party libraries. I feel like it's cheating somehow to use those even though I'd use the same library if it came from Apple.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I don't feel it's cheating. I feel it's not "reinventing the wheel". I do, however, make sure to look through the source extensively to get a very good grasp of how it works. One should rarely incorporate third-party code without a good understanding of what it does.

6. firewood macrumors 604

I also do this by using some HTML inside a small textfield-sized UIWebView. Only a few extra lines of code required, and one can write a small custom class to do even that little bit.

7. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68040

PhoneyDeveloper