how to change the resoulotion of an external display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cai876, Sep 19, 2009.

1. cai876 macrumors newbie

I have a g3 slot loading Imac, which I am reusing as a computer for a family member who is visually impaired. I have bought a 22" monitor that can display a resolution of 1680x1050. but I can not display more than 1024x768. Another problem is that I can't get it just to display on the external monitor, it uses both monitors with identical pictures.

2. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Ok while I'm not sure which OS you're using (Tiger, Panther?) but I think what you want to do it disable 'mirroring' from display preference. That's why it's 1024x768 - because that's the native resolution of the iMac screen. I also don't know what video card is in there and if it's capable of non-mirror external video (probably is), but that's what you'll want to do. Disable mirroring and then set the resolution. Hopefully your OS is recent-enough to have 16:10 resolutions as an option.

3. cai876 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. cai876 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Ok in Tiger - you click the apple logo in the top left corner, scroll down to system preferences, then chose 'Displays' and from there you should see a button for 'mirror displays' - it might be under one of the tabs from the top middle of the 'Displays' panel'.

Hope that gets it done for you.

6. SiriusExcelsior macrumors regular

I don't think the G3 iMacs support extended desktops; they could only do mirrored ones. Some had video cards that were capable, but Apple chose not to enable it; some just couldn't do it at all.

Try Screen Spanning Doctor:
    http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

I can't guarantee that it'll work, and, since it's such an old program, I can't guarantee it won't crash your system either. Good luck!