How to Check AirPods Battery Life on iPhone and Apple Watch

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Come on, you are managing batteries with AirPods (or any wireless earphones). This whole article is about managing the batteries. One either minds managing them or one doesn’t. You even described how to manage them, right after saying “Nothing is to manage”(!).

2. iVoid macrumors 65816

Yeah, mine mostly gets me through my 1 hour commute every morning and evening (the right one runs low first).

I'm hoping they'll release the new version soon so I don't have to re-buy the old model.

3. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

Come on, you have to recharge them once in a while that's it.

4. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Once in a while? Every 5 hours of use? Ok. As long you’re happy with them, that’s fine.

5. votdfak macrumors 6502

votdfak

6. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Mine too. I've hardly used them. The microphone quality took a dump a few months ago too, for no reason. Disappointed.

ETA:

I've recently gone back to wired all the time now.

The quality and reliability is unmatched.

Jobs got it right.

Bluetooth was around for 20 years before the iPhone existed.

Jobs chose the headphone jack.

Bluetooth has always sucked and always will.

7. Whoakapi macrumors 6502

Alle iPads that are single cell, including the iPad minis, are also rated for 1000 cycles.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Source?

Apple tends to use ~20Wh cells. I highly doubt the iPad batteries are single cell.

9. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

That did the trick! Thanks

10. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Yeah totally didn't know you can check them on your apple watch too.

11. edenwaith macrumors 6502a

edenwaith

I didn't realize that there was now a Battery widget available. I'm guessing that was added in iOS 12. This actually was a very useful article. Gracias!

12. 7thson, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

It was there in iOS 11. Maybe even 10.

13. spiddyman007 macrumors regular

spiddyman007

I don’t have AirPods. So can someone set up a go fund me for them. Also I asked Siri what my AirPods battery percentage was and she said 52%. Same percentage as my phone

14. Emanuel Rodriguez macrumors member

Emanuel Rodriguez

Couldn't be more wrong. The Bose headphones are the best headphones I have ever bought. Amazing audio, especially compared to the Beats they replaced, and on top of that you get to use Alexa instead of Siri, which trust me, is a tremendous breath of fresh air. Just the little things. I mean, when you ask her to tell you a story, she actually does. She can tell you camping stories, love stories, summer stories, among others. I get that Amazon bought Audible, and that's probably where most of these stories are coming from, but Apple isn't exactly wanting for cash, so if they wanted to, they could most definitely come up with some sort of solution. Most personal assistants are far more advanced than Siri in terms of what they can do, and they tend to be more accurate with interpreting your words. Siri is quite an embarrassment, when honestly compared with the alternatives.

and, to answer your question about charging, I often forget to charge them overnight. I plug them in when I get up, they're sometimes plugged in for ~1hr, and they are usually near 100% when I leave, even if they started at 0. That's fair though. They have a much larger battery than the AirPods, so it naturally takes a bit more time. But, they have a pile of features the AirPods don't have, so I don't really get how you can compare the two in the first place.

15. WilliamG macrumors G3

Erm. You have a broken AirPod so you think that makes all AirPods junk? Nobody can tell when I’m on AirPods. They’re amazing. Now, I did have to replace mine because the battery went down the toilet after 2 years of HARD use, but they’re one of the best products Apple has ever made.

16. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

You like BOSE and that's fine with me. But the thing with Alexa. She's a spy and even a spy that tells stories is nothing but a storytelling spy. But I really appreciate your input there. Enjoy your headphones.

17. Whoakapi macrumors 6502

Ok, I don't want to argue how many that are actually single cell. I know the old iPads were. And as an example also the Mini4 which was also rated for 1000 cycles.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+Mini+4+Teardown/48891

18. bubsdaddy macrumors regular

I have had my AirPods for almost exactly 2 years now. I can't be on a call for more than 35 minutes without hearing the low battery sound. I can listen to music for about 2 hours. I can live with those battery drain times for a little while longer but I hope Apple releases a new version before my battery degrades to unacceptable levels. I have used them every day for two years so I can't complain too much.

19. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

20. ssspinball macrumors 6502

Why are some comparing massive, heavy, over-the-ear style wireless Bose headphones with tiny weightless "completely forget you're wearing them" AirPods that fit in a case the size of a Tic Tac box?

To each their own, but someone could offer me those Bose headphones for free and I'd still pay for AirPods that I greatly prefer.

21. racerhomie macrumors regular

racerhomie

You should forget them from Settings>Bluetooth. Then pair again.

22. cosmic68 macrumors 6502

cosmic68

Hmmm I can’t see the battery level on my AW regardless of whether the Watch or my iPhone is playing music - what are you pressing when you swipe up on Watch?

23. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

The battery button/icon.

24. Eriamjh1138@DAN macrumors 6502a

Eriamjh1138@DAN

Will do. I guess I should probably do a full reset of some kind.