How To Check How Many Uses I Have Left For: Leopard Family Pack?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HappyDude20, Jan 6, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I have both the iLife'08 and Leopard in Family Pack and am not sure how many more computers I can install the software with. How can I find out?

I remember I upgrade my own Mac to Leopard with the Family Pack and iLife08 as well, though let my sister borrow both disks and she installed at least Leopard on hers, though am not sure if she upgraded to iLife'08 and believe she let her boyfriend borrow both disks for him to install them as well, but am not sure....

Essentially, how can I check?

:)

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If your sister and her boyfriend do not live in the same house as you, you're breaking the EULA anyway, so it doesn't matter.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The license is good for 5 computers in one household
    But it will not tell you how many you have installed

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

first of all, screw ethics laws with this kinda of stuff. it's a business, money, etc. you know. w/e.

anyways, both lived with me at the time when i lent them the discs. both just moved to NY from Cali and just got off the phone with my sis and says she downloaded only leopard and her bf is away for a week... so cant get an answer from him yet...

...is there please, any way i can check.

5. DeathChill macrumors 68000

If you're not worried about ethics then why question the amount of computers you installed it on? The disc's don't stop working and there is no real limit, it's just the amount that you're supposed to install it on. You could install it on 1000 computers at once and it would make no difference, but it would be ethically/morally wrong.

6. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

There is no way to check because Apple doesn't keep track. You did the right thing at least by purchasing the family packs.

7. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

holy moly?

you're saying one leopard disk can keep installing over and over on any number of computers? This is dumb on Apple's part, if so.

Either way, with that said, I wouldn't install more than 5 times. But iono, that's besides this point.

I just wanna know how many more software installs it has left. If I'm not mistaken I believe Leopard has 3 left and iLife08 has 4.

I don't wanna misrepresent both software when i list them on eBay.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You are gonna list them on eBay with a number of installs left? :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If you sell them on eBay, you would have to remove the software from all the computers it's been installed on.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not if you follow this philosophy...

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

12. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

This thread has made me laugh. Just thought I'd let you know. :D

13. Deanster macrumors regular

Yeah, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how this works.

Technically, you can install the software as many times as you're inclined to. There is no counter, validation, or activation from an external source. It is possible to install it 100 times over.

Legally, under the terms of the EULA, you are only allowed to have it installed on a total of five (5) computers, all of which are in your household. There is no limit on installs, just that it can't be on more than 5 of your computers at once. Under the EULA, you are obligated to remove it from one computer before you put it on another, if the new install would put it above your allowed 5.

Similarly, if you're selling it on Ebay, you are obligated under the EULA to remove it from all computers you own or control as part of the transfer of the license.

There is no provision for a 'partial transfer', in which you've used it twice, leaving the buyer three uses. This cannot be done within the terms of the EULA.

Technically, there's nothing to prevent you installing it five times, selling it, and the new owner installing it five times.

This is a substantially different approach from that taken by Microsoft, in which you need to provide DNA for each install, or something that feels a lot like that... it's one of the things that keeps me an Apple customer, so maybe not so stupid after all. :)

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

^^^^
    Excellent explanation... thanks for putting it so eloquently!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

15. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Except there is no EULA. Apple has a Software License Agreement (SLA), which covers more than the "End User." That's one of the reasons that Psystar got themselves into such a deep hole. Even installing it for someone else is technically in violation, whether or not you're the end user.

16. new.chaos macrumors newbie

Actually Apple can track this stuff to some extent. I believe they know, via updates, your machine serial number. They know the build of materials that went with each serial number and what OS was supplied with it.

As aggregate numbers, they know how many people are running each version of MacOS and how many units they have sold of each version that were unbundled from a machine sale. It would be pretty simple I think for them to understand the extent of "piracy" going on with the OS, at a macro level.

As for identifying specific offenders, I think they are only able to do this with machines who are not running Apple hardware.