How to Check Your Mac does Not Have The Defected Sandy Bridge Cougar Chip In It

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FOX160, Mar 3, 2011.

1. FOX160 macrumors regular

OK this took some searching as I too want a sound mac book pro.

To check that you Mac has NOT got the unwanted default Cougar chip in it
    is to do the following.
    And guys please put this Rumor to rest, and post your tests A.S.A.P.

Go to System Profiler and note the CPU ID
    Then search Google for listings range of IDs from Intel.

Or call Apple Tech Support They may have access to a data base that will
    match your system serial number with the range of chips

OK show your findings

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

1.) I don't see anything like a CPU ID.
    2.) Apple has already said they don't use the affected chips.

3. xxjudgmentxx macrumors member

Apple is already using the fixed chipsets. No cause for alarm.

4. RedmoonTx macrumors newbie

I thought the sandy bridge bug only affected the 3.0GB SATA ports anyway?
    I thought I read that the Mac only use the 2 6.0GB ports, so does it really even matter?

5. CraiginPA215 macrumors newbie

The DVD drive is wired to an affected SATA 3Gbps port, so it's worth knowing for sure if you might get one with the B2 stepping chipset so that your DVD drive (or whatever else you put in its place) doesn't fail in the future, but I don't know if there's any software way to know. I really do hope someone comes up with a way to check for B2 vs. B3 chipset without disassembling the MBP.

I read one teardown article that showed a chipset markings that proved it was the fixed B3 stepping version, but that's only a sample size of 1. I'm holding up my purchase until I can be sure there's no chance of getting one without that defect.

It's a little hard to believe that Apple got their hands on enough B3 chipsets in time to meet all their production needs in time for the new models' release, so it might be worth waiting for an official statement you feel you can rely on. I'll either wait to hear of a reliable test that doesn't require a teardown, or will wait a couple more months for the early inventory to clear out, or will wait to hear an official statement that explicitly says that absolutely *no* MBP2011's were ever produced with the B2 chipsets.

6. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/performance.html

7. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

But it could......have one of the defective chips.......... I would wait for the next generation, you know, just to be safe......:D

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

This is absolutely false. There is no way Intel or Apple would put out computers that they knew were defective. There is no need to wait for 2012 because of a fear of getting a mbp with a defective chip.

9. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

no, it could not.

Not only has Apple stated it on their website that they are using the revised chipset, but intel forced all manufacturers to sign a contract that if they use the defective chipsets they cannot use the affected SATA ports (meaning only the 6gbit SATA ports can be used - port 0 and 1).

Since apple is using a 3gbit/s port for their Superdrive - Port 2, that means that they are either breaching the terms of the contract, or are using the revised chipset.

10. CraiginPA215 macrumors newbie

Apple's statement only says they are using the new chipsets, but that doesn't mean some of the earliest production could not have used used the older ones in order to meet their announcement deadlines. PR and legal people are very careful to spin words while leaving themselves some wiggle room, and they're so used to such wording that they tend to forget to be more forthright when they could've been, so we really can't be 100% sure either way right now, not until we see an explicit statement that directly says something like "no B2 stepping chips were used in any MBP2011 units."

Re: Intel's terms: We don't know what terms Apple and Intel agreed to. Apple has so much clout and such a close relationship with Intel that I'm sure their agreements are customized, so it's quite possible Intel agreed to an exception early on for the DVD drives.

Since DVD drives are used very little (as opposed to the HD), and since the defect would not show its effects for years of normal use anyway (and might never show up for the DVD for more than a few users), and given that Apple backs it's products very well, it's plausible an exception could've been agreed for some of the first couple of weeks of production, at least as 'contingency' inventory just in case they ran short of the new chipsets. That's doesn't mean I believe there might be a few MBP2011 units that slipped out with the defective B2 chips, but just that it's plausible, and I personally don't want to take any chance.

So I'll continue to wait for an official statement with more forthright wording, or some easy way to detect B2 vs. B3 stepping chips, or I'll simply wait long enough to be sure any MBP I buy has a manufacturing date after, say, today.

11. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

People spreading FUD as usual...ESPECIALLY NEW MEMBERS If you're going to post on an official website that you're using recently refined chipsets...to go out of your way to point that out, I would take them for their word...because the legal ramifications of lying about that is just way too great.

Several sources like the wall street journal has already pointed out that apple was using the newly refined chipsets that arent affected

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110224-717245.html

12. FOX160 thread starter macrumors regular

Revised Chip !!

Just called Apples Technical support to see if they are using the revised
    Cougar Point chip. But the guy knows nothing of the revised chip
    only knowing that they have not had a problem with the chip they
    are using
    Very in tresting as most on here say they are using the revised chip

13. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

You do have a point. Apple did leave themselves some "wiggle room" as many companies do. Semantics... sigh:(

However, I don't know if Apple would be that audacious. Although it may not go far, customers may have a case for a class action lawsuit.

That's one of only 5 or 6 revisions Apple is advertising on that page. It's something customers would be looking for. I highly doubt Apple would advertise something in that manner and NOT do it.

14. electronique macrumors 6502

Already discussed here
    Oh wait.. That was you who started the thread?? Weird.

Why do you think some random on the other end of the phone at Apple should know this?

15. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Oh for pete's sake, as pointed out above Apple themselves explicitly say they use the new revised chipset. That's your official statement. Unless you have proof you words are qualify as libel.

16. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Yep, the chips are broken, all of them. They also use glue made out of unicorn tears to hold the computer together.

You'd better just hold off on buying one until 2013.5 when the whole system will be rebuilt with feathers and stray hairs.

17. CraiginPA215 macrumors newbie

I think you either misread my statements, bcaslis, or I don't know which statement of mine you're referring to.

To clarify my wording for you: From what I've read so far, Apple only said they use the new chips. From a legal standpoint, that language doesn't actually say what most people would assume it implies. It's a statement about the present, so it doesn't assert a claim about production prior to when that statement was made. (It doesn't even say they don't also use something else or won't, although it obviously wouldn't make sense to use anything else now that supplies are becoming available.) If there is a more specific official statement from an Apple, I would love to see the words.

18. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

Or just order one BTO and you should have a new one for sure.

19. xxjudgmentxx macrumors member

This is getting so old:
    http://www.macworld.com/article/158134/2011/02/mbp_update.html

"Earlier this year, Intel discovered problems in the chipset of Sandy Bridge processors that were shipping, but Apple vice president of worldwide Mac hardware marketing David Moody told Macworld that the company was using the latest updated versions, which corrected the flaw."

Can we never...ever...talk about this again? Pretty please?

20. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Um, ever play with an iphone 4? I guarantee apple knew about the issue, but was too late in the distribution cycle to bring them all back.

Thus, the damage control.

And yes, my iphone4 has the issue. Do I care? Nope.

21. eaf7s macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Oh no, some of the chips are defecting? Where to?!!

22. bcaslis macrumors 68020

This is ridiculous. They statement doesn't apply to laptops made after a certain date. You are assuming guilty until proven innocent. Their statement is official and there isn't going to be something else. If that's not good enough for you then you should go buy a Dell. I'm sure they would never lie about defective parts. ;)

23. CraiginPA215 macrumors newbie

Thank you for posting that new citation. Unfortunately those words seem to report the status at the time of the interview. If he meant "have only been using" I wish he would have said that.

24. xxjudgmentxx macrumors member

The interview was the day the new MBPs were released...and at any rate, do you seriously believe Apple would A) Use a faulty part to begin with (everyone knows they're prissy pieces of crap with their QA/service) or B) Use the faulty chipset and knowingly put the ODD on one of the affected ports?

I mean, c'mon.

25. CraiginPA215 macrumors newbie

FWIW, I, too, believe Apple wouldn't lie and I do believe what they actually said is true. I'm sorry it upsets you, but when spending $$$$ I just don't think it's prudent to rely on statements meaning anything more than what their words literally say, and I can't be sure what they really mean if they don't say it explicitly.

Would it be possible to return now to the OP's original question? Is it possible to detect the specific chipset version of a MBP without disassembling it?