How to clean grunge and greasy dirt on Imac Alu and 30" ACD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ejosepha, Apr 3, 2010.

1. ejosepha macrumors 6502

I recently bought a used Imac 24" Alu and 30" Apple Cinema Display that were obviously never cleaned before and therefore there is sticky grunge/dirt on the aluminum on the Imac and even worse on the aluminum and plastic part of the 30" Display, as well as on the lcd itself. What is the safest and most effective way of cleaning off this grungy dirt. I have read that people use IKlear for both the display lcd and the surrounding aluminum and plastic, but is this really sufficient? I will need to insist on lifting off the sticky grunge like dirt on both machines. I think I know what to do in terms of cleaning the lcd display on the 30" ACD. But there is grungy dirt there too. A simple lint-free water-wet clothr will just move the dirt and grunge around, I think, not off. Perhaps IKlear will do it. Any firsthand recommendations?
    Thanks

2. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

Additonally:

I did use the soft side of a wet sponge with a dash of liquid dishes soap and much of the grunge was lifted from the plastic white adapter block. Can the same be done on the aluminum and plastic part of the ACD safely or are there better methods?