Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

How to clean up Photos Library

wstam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
I select "Show Package Contents" on Photos Library and look at the Masters folders where all the photos are stored. Besides the "normal" photos, I see many photos that are not showing up on the Photos App. These photos were accumulated over many years. I am not sure if all these photos are previously deleted photos, some may not. In fact majority of the photos are the "unwanted" photos. This make the Photos Library size unnecessary big. Are these "left over" photo due to the migration from iPhoto to Photos library?

How do I clean up those unwanted photos? Can I delete the photo directly on the folders? Or how to get them shown on the App so that I can delete the properly? I did try to do a photo library repair but nothing change.

Thank you.

James_C

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Have you emptied the trash in the photos app? Deleting the photo just moves it to trash. So it won’t actually be removed from the library until you empty the trash In the photos app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.