How to clean white bands on the gold iPhone 6?

Chad-VI

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
My gold iPhone 6's antenna bands are getting dirty, even though I have a transparent case on it since day one, and I always clean it every time I use it. I even clean the case from the inside and outside. And I got it in Christmas so it hasn't been used for a long time. The bands are showing grey dirt already. How can I clean the bands without damaging them ?

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Be careful with an eraser as they are abrasive and WILL remove the anodized finish.
A good eraser is 100% rubber which is absolutely not abrasive. If it is gentle enough for paper, I suspect it is for an anodized surface.

On the other hand, erasers on cheap pencils can feel pretty rough because it's harder. I don't think those are as effective but I am doubtful that they are that abrasive as they are to be used on paper.

But then again, water is an excellent solvent and if it works is your best choice.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
A good eraser is 100% rubber which is absolutely not abrasive. If it is gentle enough for paper, I suspect it is for an anodized surface.

On the other hand, erasers on cheap pencils can feel pretty rough because it's harder. I don't think those are as effective but I am doubtful that they are that abrasive as they are to be used on paper.

But then again, water is an excellent solvent and if it works is your best choice.
I will stick by my advise as a friend ruined the gold ano on his phone with a pencil eraser. But thanks for your advice. Mine has been in a Sedio Surface case from hour one and I could careless what the bands look like.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Thanks for your replies, a damp cloth worked very well :)
I used the iKlear for all my Apple stuff, someone from Apple who knew what they were talking about said they use this in all repairs to clean a product before returning it to a customer, it works well on F150 GPS screen, TV's etc and they are sold in Best Buy and Apple Stores. I originally bought the $29.99 kit with one small and one large bottle and the rags they come with, back in April 2009 and I use it all the time, works well on all parts of the iphone and really gets the fingerprints off well.

Chad-VI

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014

I will stick by my advise as a friend ruined the gold ano on his phone with a pencil eraser. But thanks for your advice. Mine has been in a Sedio Surface case from hour one and I could careless what the bands look like.
Thanks for your advices, but I'm kind of perfectionist so I won't try the eraser for now:p

I used the iKlear for all my Apple stuff, someone from Apple who knew what they were talking about said they use this in all repairs to clean a product before returning it to a customer, it works well on F150 GPS screen, TV's etc and they are sold in Best Buy and Apple Stores. I originally bought the $29.99 kit with one small and one large bottle and the rags they come with, back in April 2009 and I use it all the time, works well on all parts of the iphone and really gets the fingerprints off well.
Experience with Whoosh! has been remarkable for me
Apple Store
Thanks, I might give these a try. Since Apple uses the iKlear I think that's the best choice, even thought a damp cloth was enough to clean it.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
But that defies the law of physics. How can an eraser made of rubber erase an anodized surface which is supposed to be very hard? Perhaps your friend use an eraser from a pencil which is worn to the metal ring, and the metal ring scratched the phone?

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I think the damp cloth suggestion is the best one. Water is a really good solvent, and plastic is not porous, so we are dealing with surface dirt. Why use unnecessary chemical when water will do.

Reactions: AppleorSamsung

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I recently bought s MacBook Pro from a Mac repair shop at a steal. Anyway, it was dirty and I watched them clean it before giving it to me. They used spray on goof off. I've used the product before but wouldn't have dated usig it on a device like this until I saw them do it. Works wonders, really. I've always loved the stuff for around the house and car, just never thought to try it on electronics. Thought it would be too abrasive.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Since Apple uses the iKlear I think that's the best choice, even thought a damp cloth was enough to clean it.
iKlear and others are designed to suck money from your account. They are especially effective at it.

Conversely warm water and a microfiber cloth will clean anything other than neglected stained displays, and other neglected or abused items.

My Apple computers, pads, pods & phones all look pristine as new. They have for years.

Why fall for the sales pitch, company or hero endorsement of snake oils.... :eek:

Reactions: AppleorSamsung

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I recently bought s MacBook Pro from a Mac repair shop at a steal. Anyway, it was dirty and I watched them clean it before giving it to me. They used spray on goof off. I've used the product before but wouldn't have dated usig it on a device like this until I saw them do it. Works wonders, really. I've always loved the stuff for around the house and car, just never thought to try it on electronics. Thought it would be too abrasive.
I bought some GOOF OFF today to remove tar from my driveway. Are you sure it's okay to use this for cleaning electronics? It does say on the spray bottle that it removes tar, makeup, glue, sticky tape.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I bought some GOOF OFF today to remove tar from my driveway. Are you sure it's okay to use this for cleaning electronics? It does say on the spray bottle that it removes tar, makeup, glue, sticky tape.
I wouldn't have dared to use it if I didn't see them use it in the computer. I was actually shocked and asked if what I thought they were using was what they're actually using. They got it on the keyboard, the apple logo, and everything.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
But that defies the law of physics. How can an eraser made of rubber erase an anodized surface which is supposed to be very hard? Perhaps your friend use an eraser from a pencil which is worn to the metal ring, and the metal ring scratched the phone?
Lol! Yea, right!

Your hard anodized surface will wear off in time from just the water of removing it from a pocket. It is not that durable as you will find out.

Some erasers are more than just rubber and vegetable oil. At lest in my world

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I used goof off recently on the screen of my daughter's cheap tablet (it had some sticker residue on it that wouldn't come off no matter what). Thought it might ruin the screen but it didn't harm it at all.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Lol! Yea, right!

Your hard anodized surface will wear off in time from just the water of removing it from a pocket. It is not that durable as you will find out.

Some erasers are more than just rubber and vegetable oil. At lest in my world
Yes, running water over thousands of years will wear out rocks. But we are talking about going over a plastic band with a piece of rubber for a couple of seconds.

I believe in certain part of the world erasers are called "rubbers." I can't imagine why one would mix it with something else as rubber is pretty inexpensive and effective. Perhaps to give it colors?

Chad-VI

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
iKlear and others are designed to suck money from your account. They are especially effective at it.

Conversely warm water and a microfiber cloth will clean anything other than neglected stained displays, and other neglected or abused items.

My Apple computers, pads, pods & phones all look pristine as new. They have for years.

Why fall for the sales pitch, company or hero endorsement of snake oils.... :eek:
Hahaha you're right, I may get it only if a microfiber cloth wouldn't be able to clean it. But till know, it's still pretty good.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yes, running water over thousands of years will wear out rocks. But we are talking about going over a plastic band with a piece of rubber for a couple of seconds.

I believe in certain part of the world erasers are called "rubbers." I can't imagine why one would mix it with something else as rubber is pretty inexpensive and effective. Perhaps to give it colors?
Check your Palm Pilot as some erasers DO contain an abrasive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.