How to clean white bands on the gold iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chad-VI, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Chad-VI macrumors regular

Chad-VI

My gold iPhone 6's antenna bands are getting dirty, even though I have a transparent case on it since day one, and I always clean it every time I use it. I even clean the case from the inside and outside. And I got it in Christmas so it hasn't been used for a long time. The bands are showing grey dirt already. How can I clean the bands without damaging them ?

2. meistervu macrumors 65816

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

4. Chad-VI thread starter macrumors regular

Chad-VI

Thanks for your replies, a damp cloth worked very well :)

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Be careful with an eraser as they are abrasive and WILL remove the anodized finish.

6. meistervu macrumors 65816

A good eraser is 100% rubber which is absolutely not abrasive. If it is gentle enough for paper, I suspect it is for an anodized surface.

On the other hand, erasers on cheap pencils can feel pretty rough because it's harder. I don't think those are as effective but I am doubtful that they are that abrasive as they are to be used on paper.

But then again, water is an excellent solvent and if it works is your best choice.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I will stick by my advise as a friend ruined the gold ano on his phone with a pencil eraser. But thanks for your advice. Mine has been in a Sedio Surface case from hour one and I could careless what the bands look like.

8. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I used the iKlear for all my Apple stuff, someone from Apple who knew what they were talking about said they use this in all repairs to clean a product before returning it to a customer, it works well on F150 GPS screen, TV's etc and they are sold in Best Buy and Apple Stores. I originally bought the $29.99 kit with one small and one large bottle and the rags they come with, back in April 2009 and I use it all the time, works well on all parts of the iphone and really gets the fingerprints off well.

9. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

10. Chad-VI thread starter macrumors regular

Chad-VI

Thanks for your advices, but I'm kind of perfectionist so I won't try the eraser for now:p

Thanks, I might give these a try. Since Apple uses the iKlear I think that's the best choice, even thought a damp cloth was enough to clean it.

11. meistervu macrumors 65816

But that defies the law of physics. How can an eraser made of rubber erase an anodized surface which is supposed to be very hard? Perhaps your friend use an eraser from a pencil which is worn to the metal ring, and the metal ring scratched the phone?

12. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Not far off - use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

13. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

14. meistervu macrumors 65816

I think the damp cloth suggestion is the best one. Water is a really good solvent, and plastic is not porous, so we are dealing with surface dirt. Why use unnecessary chemical when water will do.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I recently bought s MacBook Pro from a Mac repair shop at a steal. Anyway, it was dirty and I watched them clean it before giving it to me. They used spray on goof off. I've used the product before but wouldn't have dated usig it on a device like this until I saw them do it. Works wonders, really. I've always loved the stuff for around the house and car, just never thought to try it on electronics. Thought it would be too abrasive.

16. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

iKlear and others are designed to suck money from your account. They are especially effective at it.

Conversely warm water and a microfiber cloth will clean anything other than neglected stained displays, and other neglected or abused items.

My Apple computers, pads, pods & phones all look pristine as new. They have for years.

Why fall for the sales pitch, company or hero endorsement of snake oils.... :eek:

17. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I bought some GOOF OFF today to remove tar from my driveway. Are you sure it's okay to use this for cleaning electronics? It does say on the spray bottle that it removes tar, makeup, glue, sticky tape.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I wouldn't have dared to use it if I didn't see them use it in the computer. I was actually shocked and asked if what I thought they were using was what they're actually using. They got it on the keyboard, the apple logo, and everything.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Lol! Yea, right!

Your hard anodized surface will wear off in time from just the water of removing it from a pocket. It is not that durable as you will find out.

Some erasers are more than just rubber and vegetable oil. At lest in my world

20. bushido Suspended

bushido

I used snow the other day lol and usually just water

21. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

I used goof off recently on the screen of my daughter's cheap tablet (it had some sticker residue on it that wouldn't come off no matter what). Thought it might ruin the screen but it didn't harm it at all.

22. meistervu macrumors 65816

Yes, running water over thousands of years will wear out rocks. But we are talking about going over a plastic band with a piece of rubber for a couple of seconds.

I believe in certain part of the world erasers are called "rubbers." I can't imagine why one would mix it with something else as rubber is pretty inexpensive and effective. Perhaps to give it colors?

23. Chad-VI thread starter macrumors regular

Chad-VI

Hahaha you're right, I may get it only if a microfiber cloth wouldn't be able to clean it. But till know, it's still pretty good.

24. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Check your Palm Pilot as some erasers DO contain an abrasive.

25. meistervu macrumors 65816

Don't need to. I just use my common sense instead. Think about it for a moment. Eraser and paper. How tough is paper? Is there a need for abrasive? No. End of story.