How to clone MBP 2018 to MBP 2017?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Chrisjmv, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Chrisjmv macrumors member

hey guys, how can I easily clone my MBP 13" 2018 to a MBP 15" 2017?

Does this work and if yes which programs do I need? Does the clone works even if the MBP are not completely identical with the Hardware?

2. chabig macrumors 603

3. Chrisjmv thread starter macrumors member

that's already what I know, but the Migration Assistent does not copy all data, like it would be like a clone, so my Question still is, how to make an 1:1 clone of the newer one to the old one and USE BOTH Macs with same Programs etc / data on it.

4. chabig macrumors 603

Actually, migration assistant will copy all of the data. But if you don’t believe me and really do want a clone, then connect the two computers with a cable, start the new one in target disk mode (System Preferences > Startup Disk > Target Disk Mode), and clone the old system over.

5. Chrisjmv thread starter macrumors member

thank you very much, when done this as you described, I can use both Macs with identical Data, things like Parallels 14 etc. should work on the "clone" too, right?

6. chabig macrumors 603

Yes, absolutely. It's really easy. Either way you do it, a Thunderbolt cable will be the fastest way to connect the machines. If you don't have one, you can use a USB-C data cable.

7. Chrisjmv thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much! :)

8. saudor macrumors 6502a

some software licenses will de-activate if you move computers but otherwise it should work